Author's Note

Author's Note

For all those whose shadows have crossed my heart in the years since beginning this undertaking.

Dedicated to the aunt and uncle, now passed, of the young broken boy drifting in his own world out in the east.

To the family and memory of the admiral of the Cynical Fleet, now passed, who helped me find my voice, find great games, and was a huge fan of PlatinumGames, developers of NieR:Automata.

To the family and memory of the percussionist of the greatest trio in rock & roll history, now passed, whose compositions and songwriting continue to inspire me and get me through the darkest of times.

To Mr. Taro and his team for putting together such an inspiring work.

To the friends and family who continue to put up with that broken, drifting boy's happy madness.

And last, but not least, to you.

To all of you who may or may not come across this story from the far reaches of the internet; know how much I appreciate you and hope you enjoy this novel that I've poured way too much of my passion into.

Please let me know of any errors you recognize or any improvements I could have made. Review me to your heart's content.

Much love, and I hope you're having a wonderful day.

ONE FINAL THING BEFORE YOU CONTINUE:

PLEASE do not read on if you haven't finished the game, NieR:Automata, all the way up to ending E; there are plenty of endgame spoilers in this first chapter alone.

After you're done with the game, read and/or listen to Yoko Taro's "Farewell" stage play found on "The Ark" wiki for the NieR series.

Though it's not required, I'd also recommend reading the short story "A Much Too Silent Sea" found on the same wiki.

Once you're done with all that, you'll be all caught up and ready toread this novella! I hope you enjoy!