Chapter Twenty Nine: Standing There

Start from the beginning

"And the way she looked, was way beyond compare," John sang back, and Robin wasn't sure if he'd already written that bit or if he'd come up with it on the spot. "What's that next bit you had?"

"Now how could I dance with another, ooh! When I saw-" Paul continued.

"When I saw her standing there!" John interrupted to sing along, the pair of them grinning, as if they had written a masterpiece.

The song seemed to write itself from there on. The words and the music seemed to come to them as if by magic, and though Robin kept trying to focus on her work, every so often she'd glance up at the two of them. She'd never seen anything like it, the dynamic. It was like they were fused together mentally, as if one thought something and the other played or sang it. It took a great level of intelligence to do what they were doing, yet it came so naturally. It was strange, considering John was just her boyfriend, and Paul just his mate, but she felt as though she was at a concert, watching the greats.

When they did the song right from the start, playing it right through to the end, Robin found herself humming along. It was catchy, it felt new and fresh, but one thing struck her. The words, the chorus, and suddenly a wave of inspiration hit her. She didn't want to interrupt them to ask if she was hearing them right, or if she could even use their likeness, but she couldn't imagine John or Paul opposing, so without second thought she lifted her camera and snapped a few pictures. Neither of them noticed, not even when she stood up to get a better angle.

"What do you think?" John asked her as she sat back down, taking her by surprise.

"I didn't think you'd want my opinion, I didn't think there was room for me in your dynamic duo," she shrugged, letting out a laugh as the two lads exchanged a confused look. "Oh, come on! I could've done the full monty and neither of you would've looked up,"

"Well I'm looking if you wanna do it now," John winked at her, and she let out a groan of annoyance, tossing one of her discarded balled-up sketches at him. Paul chuckled as it bounced off John's shoulder. "Seriously though, bird, any thoughts?"

"Yeah, I was thinking how much I wanted to get up and have a boogie," she told them both, struggling to keep the grin off her face. "I think its a right tune, lads,"

"You think?" Paul asked, a small smirk of confidences growing on his face as if he realised what they had just written was actually rather good.

"I wouldn't lie about it," Robin shrugged, letting out a laugh of surprise as John put his guitar aside and tackled her into an embrace.

The two of them ran the song through a few more times before they moved on to practicing a few more numbers ready for their next performance. They tried polishing up a few more new songs, but Robin didn't think any of them matched up to their first song.

"What are you calling it?" she asked quietly the moment both of them fell silent, careful not to disrupt their focus. "That song you've just written, what're you naming it?"

"Why? You want to give it a name and get five percent profit from the writing credits?" John joked dryly, smirking smugly as Robin rolled her eyes. "I dunno, what're you thinking, Paulie?"

"What about 'I saw her standing there'?" Paul suggested, and John nodded along.

Robin nodded too, smirking with satisfaction as she finally figured out her coursework project.

***

The rest of the day flew by, especially the meeting with John's family. She expected them all to hate her. She had enough confidence to believe in herself, but that confidence didn't extend to her expecting the like or appreciation of others, and that definitely didn't help the fact that the only member of John's family she already knew didn't like her. She expected John's other aunts and his sister's to share Mimi's opinion, or at least feel a similar sense of distaste towards her.