Old Conflagration Part 3 (Wroetoshaw)

She glared as he kissed her daughters lips softly

***

Mrs Brooks waited patiently for Melanie to come down the stairs.

It had been 3 days since she had read the dreaded message. The worst part about this whole ordeal for Mrs Brooks, was the fact that Melanie had lied to her. Very unlike her.

And Mrs Brooks did not like that.

"I'm coming!"

She heard from the upstairs hallway. Mrs Brooks tapped her fingers on the table, staring blankly at the front door.

The sound of her shoes slightly stomping on the stairs echoed through the house. She was wearing a big happy grin, happy because Harry was walking her to school, which she disguised as, "me and Sasha are walking today"

She noticed that Melanie's dimples were a lot more noticeable nowadays. Her dimples were fully on show.

"I'll see you soon"

She smiled, grabbing her bag. She walked over to her mother, kissing her on the cheek. Melanie rarely did that. It seemed that Mr Lewis had affected her massively.

Even though seeing Melanie this happy was a nice sight, the constant worry of her failing exams because this distraction, always lingered in the back of her mind.

She shut the door behind her, letting the crisp breeze flow through her short black hair. Reaching the end of her pathway, she spots Harry, immediately running to him.

Mrs Brooks came out of her house, spotting the young couple, her grip on the gate tightening, turning her knuckles white.

She watched as the sauntered off, no care in the world.

Harry was a slacker.

At least he was in Mrs Brooks eyes. He was behind on a number of classes, but not enough to mean all failure. Harry always said that as long as his English, maths, science and PE were okay, then he wasn't that fussed.

Mrs Brooks never liked Harry, even when the two were toddlers. She put up with small talk with his mother, and wore fake smiles when Harry would come over.

Eventually, she decided enough was enough. She pulled Melanie out of his class and made sure she was kept away from him during school time.

Some would say her measurements to keep her on track are extreme. But when you're brought up in strict household yourself, then things end up rubbing off on you.

Their hands were interlocked and their smiles were wide.

"So, proms in a few weeks, what you plan on wearing?"

Harry cheekily questioned. Melanie smirked, shaking her head.

"Uh uh, you're not finding out until then"