After eventually mustering up the courage, she slowly approached him and took a deep breath before placing her hand gently on his shoulder. He hung his head immediately, wracked with guilt. She was so good to him, she never saw him as the monster he was but he was about to break her heart.

"I'm so sorry," he whispered so softly she barely caught it.

"What's wrong, handsome?" Her voice shook, she sounded meek and nothing like her usual positive self.

"Here," he shrugged off her hand, turned and took the basket from her. He took out the blanket and placed it on the soft grass. She got the hint and sat down, her legs tucked under her. He eventually followed suit after taking a moment to collect himself.

"You need to know I love you. I really do," he took a deep, unneeded breath. "We're leaving. Carlisle looks too young, people are getting suspicious."

She stared at him, eyes wide and mouth open. He was still talking, but she couldn't hear him. He was leaving, and she wasn't going with him. She wanted to beg, she wanted to scream and cry at him. The tears welled up in her eyes, eventually flowing over when Edward stopped talking.

He quickly scooted closer to her, taking her delicate face in his hands and wiping her tears away with his thumbs. He felt awful, he knew she wouldn't take it well but he didn't have a choice. He couldn't lead her on anymore.

He managed to convince his family they needed to move before he put Claire in any more danger, and after many arguments they had all finally agreed. Rose was beyond angry with him, the little human had grown on her and was her only friend outside of the family. Jasper was upset, he knew how much Claire loved Edward, he could feel it, and he knew she would be devastated. 

"I'll always love you, Claire," he whispered, still holding her face carefully.

"Not enough, clearly," she whimpered between sobs. She managed to remove herself from his grip and sit up straight, attempting to compose herself. Edward just watched; he didn't know what to say, he couldn't make this better.

"When are you leaving?" She eventually asked, managing to slow her crying to just a few tears.

"Tonight."

That felt like a punch in the gut. He only told her a few hours before he was leaving, he wasn't going to be there for her anymore, in any capacity. Jasper and Rosalie were leaving her too. Her only true friends.

After a few moments of silence, her demeanour shifted.

"Take me home, please," her voice was devoid of emotion and her eyes were guarded. Her mind was still reeling, but she wasn't going to fight for someone that clearly did not want to stay.

"Of course," he replied softly. She stood gracefully and stepped off the blanket. Edward was up quickly, folding it, putting it away and picking the basket off the groud.

Claire was already walking back the way they came, her hands clenched in fists in her jacket pockets. Edward felt awful, he could hear her going over anything she have possibly done wrong, if she wasn't good enough for him. He wanted to take away all her doubt, it wasn't her fault. It was his.

He knew he shouldn't have gotten involved with someone that wasn't his mate, but he couldn't help it. She was perfect. Alice had warned him it would end badly, no matter what path he took, but he didnt listen.

﹌﹌﹌

T

he drive back to her house was silent, neither of them dared making a sound. She was quickly going from devastated to angry.

Angry that he was just going to leave her out of the blue. Angry that he was just going to disappear. Angry that her best friends didn't say anything sooner.

As soon as Edward pulling into the driveway, Claire jumped out of the car, slamming the door behind her. She didn't bother fetching the forgotten picnic basket from the back seat, he could keep it for all she cared.

Edward exited the car after her, rushing forward to catch her arm.

"Please, just let me say goodbye," he begged. He needed the closure, and she did too.

"I think you've said enough," she still sounded so cold, so hurt.

"I am sorry Claire. I know it's not enough but I'm so sorry. You deserved better than this."

She took a moment, taking in his face so she could remember it for the rest of her life. She may be mad, but she did love him.

"Goodbye, Edward," she said softly, brushing off his hand and entering the house and shutting the door before another onslaught of sobs wracked her slim body.

"Goodbye, Claire."