CHAPTER 16

"Gale! It's starting!"

"WHAT?!"

"Look it's starting! Flickerman is already here," says Greasy Sae, pointing at the television they set up in the Hob.

And there he stands, undoubtedly, with his hair coloured a bright blue and his lips painted in the same hue. Hideous.

"Ladies and gentlemen! After three long, painful days of waiting-"  I scoff. What does he know about pain?  "- we're finally going to see how much our beloved Tributes have impressed the Gamemakers! Without further ado, let's check out their scores!"

Silence settles in the Hob like a layer of snow. Everyone stops their businesses and turn toward the television. The Tributes' faces appear starting from the male Tribute from District 1. The Careers naturally score in the eight-to-ten range. The other Tributes average a five. I was surprised to see that the little girl got a 7. What was baffling is that Thresh- a Tribute who isn't part of the Tributes- had a score of ten points.

She's got a tough competition. She has to be more cautious.

The silence prevailing in the old storehouse spreads like cancer. Everyone holds their breaths. The baker's boy comes up with an impressive eight. My heart starts beating faster. They show Catnip's face- simple yet elegant- and flash the numbers beneath her picture.

The crowd erupts into joyous shouts. Greasy Sae slaps my back and I buckle forward. I take in a huge lungful of air and join the gleeful atmosphere. 

E-L-E-V-E-N 

Not only did she outdo the Careers, but she also made history by scoring an eleven! No one's ever crossed a ten before, eleven and twelve seemed impossible, but she did it!

"That's my girl!" I shout, carried away at the moment. A few people start hooting mockingly at my comment. I brush away their comments but I can't control the blood rushing to my face.

Greasy Sae starts to chuckle. She was the nearest to me and she obviously noticed my red face.

 "Haha. Finally Gale. For how long? I was getting worried you know."

"What are y-you talking about?" I stammer, fighting tooth and nail to keep my face straight. Damn it, Gale! Get a grip!

"Aww. Come on Gale, my old man used to give me that look when I first met him," she says, her face brightening probably at the thought of her love. She raises her grey eyebrows, waiting for an answer.

I could feel my face heating up. "What?" playing dumb doesn't convince her. 

"Old people know everything. Now spit it out," she demands. It feels like I'm being interrogated by a Peacekeeper.

"I-I don't know...I don't understand," I splutter. I can't tell her. Get a grip idiot! I curse myself.

Greasy Sae gives me a death glare. It looks like she's ready to spank me for lying to her. I sigh and give in.

"Okay fine. Since last winter. Don't you dare tell anyone," I grumble.

"Aww. Your secret's safe with me. I'm sorry you have to grow through this Gale. But don't give up hope. Remember, she's coming back."  She pats my shoulder and gives me a sad smile, then heads to her stall.

It felt like someone had given me a rope to hold onto. A spark in eternal darkness. There are chances for the rope to break or the spark to extinguish. It doesn't matter. There is a chance. Katniss has a chance to come back home. To us. 

To me.

Thanks for staying with me for all this time guys! love yall!  stay safe! that's more important.