05. My Petersburg

Start from the beginning

"That wasn't a request." Dr. Raynor was already heading towards the hallway.

"Actually," Walker interrupted. "Could I borrow Anya really fast? I'd like a word."

"Fine," Dr. Raynor sighed. "Anya, come find us when you're done. Lots to discuss."

Sam and Bucky both looked from Walker to Anya, confused and concerned. She shook her head at them, showing that she would be fine. She watched them follow the doctor down the hall before turning to Walker.

"So?" She folded her arms across her chest. "You wanted to talk, so talk."

"I think we got off on the wrong foot." He winced.

"You mean where you almost took my head off with that-"

"Frisbee, yeah you've already made that joke." He chuckled. "Sorry about that again, really. But anyway, what you did back there, that really was something. We looked you up but couldn't find anything. It's odd. Who are you?"

"I'm Anya." She replied. "Just Anya."

"Well 'Just Anya'," Walker used air quotes. "I've seen what you can do. You can fight, yeah. But just humor me. Is it sound manipulation from that little microphone thing you wore? Is that where the power comes from? That thing?"

"No it's just me." Anya snapped. "The voice, the power, it's all me. That thing just makes it louder. Are we done here?"

"Why didn't it sound like your normal voice?" Walker asked. "Because when you were fighting it sounded really er, nice. But when you talk, it's so different I feel like I'm getting whiplash, heh. So if you could just tell me who you are, where you came from, I think you would make a valuable asset-"

"You know what would be even more valuable?" Anya asked, faking politeness. "It's something I really think you could use."

"Really?" He raised an eyebrow. "What?"

"Sticking your nose somewhere that isn't in my business." Anya turned on her heel and started down the hallway. "Good talk Captain."

Anya didn't stick around to hear Walker call after her. What a dick. Anya opened the door to see Dr. raynor sitting at a table and Sam and Bucky sitting... extremely close together. Their legs were interlocked.

"...I feel like I'm interrupting something." Anya blinked.

"Anya," Dr. Raynor gestured to the third chair that Bucky's back was facing. "Lovely for you to join us. We're doing the soul gazing exercise. Please, take a seat."

Anya did just that. The chair was facing the table Dr. Raynor was sitting at but she turned in it to look at the boys. Bucky's back was to her but she could see Sam who did not look very amused.

"Now," Dr. Raynor said. "Look at each other. You need to look at each other in the eyes."

Sam and Bucky did just that.

"Am I gonna have a turn at this?" Anya asked, fighting back a giggle.

"No don't worry," the doctor shook her head. "As far as I can tell there isn't any strain on your relationship to either of them. Is there, boys?"

"I got no problem with Birdie over there." Sam shrugged. "Then again I haven't known her very long. But she's cool."

"I think you're cool too." Anya said, smiling at Sam.

Bucky didn't answer, he was too busy staring at Sam. Sam stared back at him with just as much intensity.

"Are you having a staring contest?" Dr. Raynor scoffed.