Pushing the thought out of my mind, I spent the morning focusing on what I could do. I poured small amount of water into his mouth and smiled when he swallowed, feeling like it was a victory. Even it was just reflex that caused him to swallow the water, I took it as a good sign and continued until the bottle was empty. He didn't wake, but at least he would not die of dehydration today.

Once I was satisfied that he finished a bit of water, I sat in the chair next to him and ate a bit of bread and then pulled a poma out of the bag. It was a bit overripe, but delicious all the same. I smiled around the bite as the fruit's sweet taste filled my mouth.

"Do you remember when we walked through the market?" I asked, not expecting an answer and then took another bite before continuing. A vendor had refused to sell him a poma because he assumed Ro was the reason my eye was swollen shut. His anger at my bruised face had been palpable. The day took a sour turn after that, but our walk had been pleasant. And as much as I didn't like seeing him angry, it was nice to see someone upset over me.

"It was the first time I realized you really cared for me. The only person who ever cared that I was hurt was Mia and then you."

As I finished the fruit, I imagined what it would be to walk through a market with him hand in hand as we browsed at our leisure. We would pick out ingredients to take home where we would cook a meal together like my father once did. It seemed doubtful someone of Ro's wealth and status had ever cooked a meal for himself before, but I didn't think that would prevent him from trying. And we would not care if everyone watched us with confused expressions because they were not used to seeing such a display. I imagined a life I wasn't sure we would get, even when he woke.

Ro had obligations. He didn't to rule, but that meant little. I did not know what part he would play but I knew he would have a role in this new world he and Tau wanted to create. I knew it would not end with the death of Juleen and those most loyal to him. There would be work to do. Aurael would have to be rebuilt. Eoezelle would need to be dealt with. The zashar of Seiraul, Ro's father, had little interest in ruling and only had one heir. Juleen's death always felt like it would be the end, but I realized now it was only the beginning. He could not just walk away to live peacefully with me in Ominira, but it was a lovely thought.

After while, I tried to wake him again and when shaking and making noise didn't cause him to stir, I decided I would try once more to induce the connection we'd experienced twice before. I climbed on top of him, straddling his waist hoping that the more we were connected physically, the easier it would be. I held his face in my hands and leaned down until our foreheads touched.

"I need you to wake up so we can leave here," I whispered, our lips only a breath apart. Remembering that it had only worked in the past when I relaxed enough to forget myself, I pushed away all anxieties and focused on the feel of our skin touching. Letting my fingers comb into his hair, I traced circles around his temples the same way he'd done to calm me before. Longing filled me, a deep desire to feel him and I latched on to that feeling as I breathed him.

"I love you," I said and I held onto the longing I felt I as I kissed his forehead and then each closed eyelid. I kissed the tip of his nose and each cheek and then finally pressed my lips to his again. Once, twice, tears began to fall from my eyes. Three times, four. "Please," I begged him and kissed him again. "Pleas—" My plea broke into a sob as the familiar warm spread through my body. I was surrounded in love, a dozen other emotions filled my soul but they were drowned away by his love. It felt like I was flying. I think I laughed, it may have been hysterical, but I was hardly aware of myself.

I let myself enjoy it for sometime, relishing the way it felt to be surrounded it him. I knew he was there and his soul recognized mine, even if he wasn't conscious yet. I didn't know if I could coax him awake, but I had to try. It took some time to figure out where he ended and I began, but I found myself and pulled back just the slightest. The connection did not break, but it weakened a little and I grinned against his lips when he followed, strengthening our bond once more. Again, I pulled back and he gave chase, not wanting the moment to end any more than I did. I continued to pull back into myself little by little and each time he followed. I wasn't sure it was doing anything until I felt his fingers twitch against my leg and then his lips curved against mine.

The connection between us faded when I sat up to look at his face. His eyes were still closed, but his lips were curved into a pleasant smile and I traced my finger along them as I whispered in his language, "Open your eyes."

His eye lids fluttered a little but did not open and he muttered something that made me chuckle.

"If you wake up, you'll see that I'm really here."

Finally his eyes opened and he stared at me for a moment. A relieved sob shuddered through me. He was awake. He was okay.

"Miekev," he said on an exhale. His hands slid up my legs and to my waist and then moved to my face like he needed to touch me to be sure I was real. "You're here."

He began to shift and I started to move off of him, worried maybe I was hurting him. "No," he said quickly and held my waist. "You're perfect right where you are, I just want to sit up a bit." Without letting me go, he maneuvered himself into an upright position, his back leaning against the wall. Ro brought his hand up to my neck and traced the faint scar left from where Juleen had pressed his blade against me and then trailed the same finger down the scar on my cheek. In his eyes, I could see the guilt and anger building up, so I caught his hand against my face and smiled at him.

"I love when you smile." That made me smile wider. "I can't believe you're here."

"When I tell you how I got here, you're not going to believe it."

"Tell me," he said.

"Not yet," I said and began to climb off of him, "You need to eat and you need more water. Let me get you—"

"Wait, Lena," he cut me off.

"I'm not going anywhere," I said chuckling. "The food is just in the bag right there."

"Right," he said and released me.

Picking up the bag, I pulled out the last piece of fruit and a couple of nutrient bars. I'd never had one before but Mekhai warned me they didn't taste very good, but were filled with vitamins and proteins and recommended I make Ro eat two whenever he woke. I grabbed water from the desk and when I turned around, Ro had pulled his legs out of the way so there was room for us both to sit. I sat on the other side of the bed and put the food and water between us.

"Eat and I'll tell you a story about a human girl who flew a hovercraft to rescue her laere."

"You flew in on of those?" Surprise colored his tone and I didn't blame him. The machine had always made me uneasy, I didn't like the idea of going so fast so high off the ground.

"I piloted," I corrected. "Eat," I reminded. Ro dutifully opened the wrapper to one of the bars and took a large bite. "I sort of stole it, actually. Eda taught me to fly. I like her, by the way and Jaren, too. Gwena was not keen on anyone rescue mission, but they helped me get here."

Ro kept eating and I continued telling him all that he missed while he was fighting for his life. He occasionally interjected to ask a question, but remained silent for the most part, listening to my story. He ate all the food I'd given him and finished off the water and by the time I was finished talking, I swore I could see more color back in his complexion.

"You are so brave, Miekev." He took my hand in his and kissed my palm right over the scar left from where Juleen had driven the blade through. "I love you."