Chapter Six: Just Another Day

Chapter 6: Just Another Day

Her mother wiped Gabbi's face and picked her up out of the high chair, put her on her hip, then gathered her satchel full of files, and her laptop. Then grabbed Gabbi's things before grabbing her coffee, car keys, and walking to the door that Devanne held open for her.

"Bye honey, love you!"

"Bye dad!"

"Bye Devanne! Bye Honey! Have a good day!" Her dad said back from the living room. 

Both her parents worked midday, her mom just got ready when Devanne did so she could bring Gabbi to daycare and her to school.

Devanne walked outside when her mom called after her.

"How much longer till you find your other sweetie?" Her mother asked happily. Devanne smiled but looked down anyway.

"One day, twenty-three hours, forty-five minutes, and sixteen, fifteen seconds," she said happily and her mother smiled.

"How do you feel about it?"

"Anxious, and a nervous wreck," she tried to put what she felt in words the best she could but it still wasn't to a tee.

"Oh don't worry about it honey, just forget about it and relax. The time will be here before you know it, and when you do meet him, you don't even have to worry about not liking him because he's already the perfect match for you," her mother tried to reason but that still didn't ease Devanne's nervousness one bit. She honestly didn't think anything would help her to relax, she just felt as if she had to get it over with before she could calm down and relax, and it was probably true.

"I sure hope so," she thought.

"Who knows?" Devanne shrugged.

"Only the timer," her mother whispered to her with a smile as she got into the car.

Then they drove quickly but quietly to get Devanne to school. Then Devanne started thinking about the little time she had left.

Would she find him soon enough? Or even a her. Or would something happen before her time ran out? What could possibly happen in a day though?

"Oh, a lot of things," her subconscious reminded her, and she shivered.

That would be terrible, with the little time she had that something happened to him. What if something did happen to him? Oh, Devanne couldn't handle being by herself for the rest of her life. Well she could, anyone could, she would just get really lonely. Luckily if something ever happened to your other, you could get the clock reset until you were tied to another one of your others.

"Have a nice day at school honey, clap for anyone who runs out of time," she said and kissed Devanne's cheek.

Devanne got out and walked up the sidewalk to the front of the building and then entered.