Chapter One: Introduction

Chapter 1: Introduction

Devanne looked at the clock on her wrist one last time before she wrapped it up in a bandana. She tied it tight so she couldn't undo it in the middle of the day during class, only when she could, or needed to.

"Honey, c'mon you're going to be late if you don't come on right this instance!" Her mom shouted up the stairs at the top of her lungs.

Devanne was in the 10th grade and her fifteenth birthday was coming up quick.

"That would be so cool if he just magically showed up at my birthday party sleepover and is like, 'My clock spazed out as I walked by and I wonder whose did the same?' and it would be mine," she thought.

That would be so cool, but that kind of thing just doesn't happen. Or maybe it did?

People met their Soulmates in some of the craziest ways possible. So maybe it would or could happen, but just not to her because that's just not her kind of luck.

"Devanne! Come on! We don't have all day! We've got to go!" Her mom hollered again and this time, she did as her mother said instead of daydreaming about finding her Soulmate. She knew her time would come soon enough.

She made sure she couldn't see her clock, and the colors it emitted before walking to her bedroom door.

Every color meant something, but Devanne didn't care about it that much that she memorized every color it gave off. She just cared about when the clock ran out and who stood in front of her in the moment that it did. That was all that mattered to her, but her mom said that if she paid enough attention to the colors, the peoples' colors around her, and who had the same color as her at the same time she did, she could figure it out before the time ran out. She still didn't bother to pay that much attention to it after she found out that no one in the class she was in at that moment, had the same color she did.

It was about a week ago when Devanne noticed that her bracelet only had eight days left. She told her parents but they said that she shouldn't be alarmed by it, but how could she not?! She was going to figure out who her Soulmate was in eight friggin' days!!! She was excited, nervous, and anxious at the same time, all in one. She had many mixed emotions about it, but for right now she knew that all she needed to do was calm down.

She ascended the stairs and walked to the second entrance to the kitchen just so she could pass by her parents' Soulmate Certificate.

Their clocks stopped at all zeros. The certificate had the date and time when their clocks ran out.

Her parents were selected for each other when her dad was fifteen and her mom was twelve.

Her mom had said that she was very surprised at how many days she had less than everyone else when her 7th grade class received their clocks.

She had days when some–or most–had years.

You receive your clocks when you're twelve, or the day you start middle school, whichever comes first. The certificate had how many days they had when they received their clocks, and how they met each other. Of course the head government of the community kept records of all of that, though.