Sarah nodded. "What about them?" she asked, gesturing to his tent.

"The girls have done fine with it so far, and if it becomes too much for them, I'll handle it."

Sarah didn't ask what that meant. She didn't want to know. 

"And Barnaby?"

"I don't like him."

Sarah glared at him. "Then you don't know him well enough. How is he coping with the Dark Magic?"

"So far, he's mostly refused to learn, but I've a feeling that's about to change."

"Why?"

He smirked. "Elena. Let's just say she has a...a strong influence over him."

His icy eyes flashed, and Sarah could sense the secret dancing behind them. Though she knew it wouldn't work, she reached out to his mind with her legillimency, but his occulumency was so strong that when he pushed her back with his blockade, she actually stumbled back a step. 

Jacob continued tearing up fallen leaves. After a minute of silence, he asked, "How are mum and dad?"

"Same as always," she said with a shrug, though she hadn't spoken to them in years. They'd essentially disowned her after Hogwarts when she'd tried to bring Barnaby 'round for dinner. "They work too hard and wish they'd adopted a pair of fwoopers instead of having children."

Jacob laughed. It wasn't quite the old laugh that she hardly remembered anymore, but it was better than his cynical scoffing. 

"We do what we have to do," he said. "One day, I hope they'll accept that."

Sarah sighed. She really was just like her brother. In the old days, it would have made her proud, but now her brow furrowed with worry. She turned and began to walk away, unsure if this conversation had made her feel better or worse. 

"See you later, Pip."

She paused for a second, almost turned around. Then, she stepped carefully over the fallen twigs and tree roots back to her tent. 

******************

Barnaby walked cautiously through the dark forest in the dead of night, listening for any dangers as he followed Elena. He'd learned to keep constant vigilance in the wilderness during his days as a magizoologist, though back then, he was more worried about running into creatures than people. 

Elena had woken him and urged him to follow her into the forest, more than a mile away from the tents. In the darkness, the trees looked like the legs of giants and the vines and twigs at their feet seemed to writhe like snakes. 

When Elena finally stopped, he asked, "Now, will you tell me what we're doing?"

Elena pointed. Barnaby didn't dare cast a light, so he had to move quite close to the rabbit before he saw it. It had been trapped in a cage. 

"You want me to free it?"

"No, I'm the one who caught it."

"What for?"

"You're behind on your spellwork. We're going to spend some time practicing each evening, so you'll be ready when the time comes to rescue my brother."

"Why can't we practice during the day?"

"Because not everyone will approve."

He frowned. "I don't see..." Then, it dawned on him. "No. I told you, I'm don't want to learn any dark magic."

Elena stepped up to him and placed a hand on the side of his face. 

"You promised to do whatever it takes to help me, Barnaby. This is what it takes."

He swallowed. "Are you sure?"

She nodded. "We'll start with the Imperius Curse."

"No way!" said Barnaby, forgetting to be quiet. "It's Unforgivable!"

"It's necessary," she insisted. "My brother might not follow us of his free will at first. Or we might have to convince other Death Eaters to look the other way as he escapes."

Barnaby shook his head, then looked at the rabbit, hunkered in the back corner of the cage. It hadn't done anything wrong.

"I don't want to hurt it."

"You won't hurt it. From what I hear, it's actually a pleasant experience."

"But it's not right."

"I know this is difficult for you," said Elena. "I hope you know how much it means to me that you are helping me. But, we've got to do this. I wish there was another way, but there isn't. We're at war. Morals become...trivial."

She held his hand. Barnaby's eyes were closed, but he could tell she was standing so close, he'd only have to bend down to touch his lips to hers. 

"Will you promise me," he whispered, so quietly that even the surrounding trees, if they wanted to listen, wouldn't be able to hear, "that you won't let me become bad?"

Leaves shifted at her feet as she reached up and kissed him. 

"I promise."

Barnaby took a deep breath and opened his eyes.

"You ready?"

"...Okay."

Elena moved to stand beside him as he raised his wand and pointed it at the rabbit, willing his hand not to shake. 

"The incantation is 'imperio.'"

"Imperio." 

Barnaby tried to cast the spell for several minutes, but the terrified rabbit never moved. 

"You're not wanting it badly enough."

I don't want it at all, he thought. 

They practiced for over an hour and by the end, Barnaby had cast the curse with enough success that Elena was able to open the cage door and the rabbit didn't run away, as Barnaby commanded it. When Barnaby, released the spell, the rabbit shot off and he lowered his wand gratefully, breathing heavily and wiping the sweat from his brow. 

"Well done," said Elena. "Let's head back."

As he followed her back the way they'd come, Barnaby thought he could still feel the magic flowing through his veins. He hated himself for enjoying the feeling. He looked at the family ring he still wore on his left hand. Magic is strength and power. He'd felt powerful just now; more powerful than he had in years.

He fought with himself to ignore that powerful feeling, but his mind couldn't help but wonder what it would feel like to have just a bit more.