Chapter 18: The Portrait

Sandhya's POV

"Sandhya, your husband isn't a photographer, but he loved you with a secret photo. But my husband is an Artist, a professional portrait painter. When this had been just his hidden talent, he drew my painting. My portrait was his first painting." And so does Vasavi Aunty start explaining their love story.

We all look at Sanjay's father, who gives us a confident smile. "Vasavi, that is when I realized I am Artise too. It was love at first sight with you. I wanted to feel the happiness of seeing you every day, so I drew your portrait."

Vasavi Aunty continues, "My dad was a great man. More than a loving father, he was a broad-minded father. Even to this day, I'm proud of him."

Uncle continues, "Our marriage is an Intercast marriage, which was a big deal back in those days. We had to face a lot of opposition."

I ask, "Uncle, how did you meet Vasavi Aunty?" He answers, "In a temple, Sandhya. She was praying to God with her hands folded into a Namaste and her eyes closed. I kept staring at her to lock that visual into my eyes. I kept staring at her until an Idiot came and disturbed me! That was the moment I fell in love."

Vasavi Aunty continues, "I was praying to God with my eyes closed. I never knew he was experiencing his love at first sight."

Uncle adds, "And, as designed by destiny, Vasavi's father and my father happened to be friends. Accidently her father saw Vasavi's portrait, which my father didn't see! I was questioned red-handed. Even though I belonged to a lower cast and despite all the opposition from the society..." Aunty halts uncle and completes the narration, "My dad believed he would never be able to get me a husband who can love me as much as Sanjaya's father, and got us married. We, too, had a simple marriage in a temple."

Aunty says, "Sandhya, even back then, it was arranged marriage for me and loved marriage for your Uncle. Even now, it's an arranged marriage for you and a love marriage for my son! Back then, my husband drew my portrait and loved me; right now, your husband took your picture and loved you. The family legacy is undefeated!" I have the broadest smile ever. In fact, all of us.

Sindhu raises her hand "Vasavi Aunty, when did you know all this story?" Aunty answers, "At our times, marriage is a start to a new life; no one knows if it will turn out to be a good one or a bad one. We are not supposed to complain about anything after marriage. All we were asked to assume was, 'Accept it as your fate and live your life. That was what mothers taught us. With just that attitude, assuming it was a normal arranged marriage, I just married him. After marriage, I learned the facts and felt like the luckiest wife on earth!"

"Let's now offer sincere prayers to God," I say. Sanjay and I stand by each other's side; I fold my hands to a Namstae and start thanking God for relieving me of my sorrow. As I ask for his blessings, the priest places the Khreeta on my head. I'm blessed; we are blessed.

As I open my eyes, sparkling and colored paper pieces shower on me with a blasting sound. There was a balloon at the top of my head, blasted by Ram (Nikki, Nikki's husband Ram, and Rekha too are at the scene), the sports teacher by his archery skills, showered them on us. I see a red rose in Sanjaya's hand, and he is preparing to kneel down. I feel it awkward, very awkward. It's very awkward to have a man kneel down for me. I mean, it is a great fact; of course, we have to feel delighted to have a man kneel down for us! But he does not actually have to do that. It's fine, and he does not have to kneel down!

So, I snatch the rose in his hand and say, "Please don't kneel down. Don't be so cinematic, and it's very awkward." Another memory added to our happy moments.

It's past afternoon. All we did till now was 'Drama'! We were supposed to clean and organize the temple to start having devotees visit the temple. All of us share tasks. Sanjay and I do the gardening. The temple has a vast space allocated for gardening. There are a lot of Marie-gold, Hibiscus, Rose, and Jasmine plants all over. Along with watering them, we plant new saplings. Also, the rose given by Sanjay is quite a good stem; I'll try planting it in my garden and try making it a healthy tree!

As the night nears, Mom, Sindhu, Dad, Nikki, Ram, and Rekha leave for their houses. I felt uneasiness when this huge change appeared significant. Any place my family visits, I get back home with Sindhu. But now, my home has changed. Sindhu sits back in the car, speechless! I, too, am equally speechless!

We make dinner together and spend some fun time together. I'm tired, so I get back to the room early. As I lie down on the bed staring at the white roof, another set of thoughts flows through me. Am I supposed to feel guilty? A sad one; I've pretty much tortured him while taking my revenge. Should I not confess that I knew the truth far before he admitted it, and should I not apologize for being rude?

Sanjay comes in, sets the phone in silence, places it on the table, and gives me a warm hug. This is probably going to be our sleep routine. I'm ready to pull out another drama. I release myself from his hug, get off the bed, and make myself comfortable on the sofa. Sanjay sits right beside me. "What's the matter?"

"Sanju, I'm sorry, I was very rude to you. Remember my behavior on Friday? Sindhu and I were taking revenge on you! Sorry!" Sanjay smiled, and laughter followed.

"Oh, that's the way you guys conduct revenge sessions?"

I bend down my head and regretfully say, "Yes! Sorry ok!"

I didn't expect this, but he gives a brief kiss on my forehead. Oh, mine! The first-ever kiss!

"I am not in the mood to analyze if I'm supposed to be angry at you or not. I am delighted over the fact that you called me Sanju."

Oh yes! I called him Sanju. Hmm, ya!

I lay down on the sofa, and his hug followed as usual. "Am I making you wait?"

"We have a whole life in front of us. Every day of that year will have three hundred and sixty-five nights. Some of those nights or most of those nights can be made special. No hurry for it! You cried like a mad today, rest well, sleep well."

Very softly, I say, it feels so uneasy to take the initiative. "What if I want tonight to be the first of its kind? The special kind." And his hug tightens up!