Chapter 15: Run Away

Start from the beginning

       Danny opened his mouth, ready to retort; however, before he could do or say anything stupid, Chiron entered the room.

       "Good morning, Danny." The centaur greeted with a smile. "Did you sleep well?"

      "Uhh," Danny glanced back at Mr. D, who had returned his attention to his cards. "Yeah, sure. Am I late for breakfast?"

      "No, I actually forgot something in my office. You should go on ahead." Chiron left the room, heading for the back of the house.

       Danny left the Big House before Mr. D had a chance to continue his interrogation.

       Danny walked past the volleyball courts and towards the cabins. Danny could see lines of campers walking up the hill towards the pavilion, and he hurried to catch up. However, he slowed as he neared the hearth in the center of the cabin area.

      The girl that Danny had seen by the hearth yesterday was tending to the coals again. Why isn't she going to the pavilion with one of the cabins?

       Danny walked up to her. "Umm, hey, are you doing okay?" He asked. "Everyone's heading to breakfast, and I noticed that you weren't, so..."

       Danny trailed off as the girl turned to face him. She wore a simple brown dress, had soft brown hair, and looked to be about nine years old. That was normal. What surprised him was that her eyes glowed an orangey-red, like the flames in the hearth.

       She smiled kindly at Danny. "Ahh, hello, young apprentice."

       Danny stumbled back quickly. He glanced around them to see if anyone had heard her, but all of the campers had gone to the pavilion by then, so they were alone. He turned back to the girl. "H-how...?"

       The girl giggled at his reaction. "I haven't met an apprentice of a god in a long time, but I know one when I see one."

       "So, you're... not a camper?" Danny asked slowly.

       "No, I am not." She answered, her eyes glowing a little brighter. "I am Hestia, goddess of the hearth."

       Danny gaped at her; just that January, he hadn't known that the Greek gods even existed. Now, he'd met three within the past two days (He didn't know who Mr. D was, but he was pretty sure he was a god.)

       Danny's surprise faded and he raised an eyebrow inquisitively. "You, uhh, look pretty young for an ancient immortal being and all."

      Hestia giggled again. "Most gods can choose what age they appear to be. This form is the one I am most comfortable with." She turned her attention to Danny's bandaged arm. "May I see your mark?"

      Danny hesitated; he knew he probably shouldn't be showing his mark to just anybody, but Hestia had a nice, calming aura around her. He felt like he could just sit down beside her and forget his worries for a while.

      Hesitantly, Danny unraveled the bandage and held out his arm. Hestia's eyes widened slightly as she read the name.

      "My, my..." Hestia looked up at Danny; her gaze was still inviting, but... worried? "It has been a long time, indeed."

      Danny pulled his arm back and rewrapped it. He began to ask her what she meant, but just then Chiron called for him. Danny turned to see Chiron standing at the base of the hill leading up to the pavilion.

      "Will you be joining us, Danny?" Chiron called out.

     "Uhh, yeah, I was just talking to-" Danny turned back to Hestia, but she had disappeared. He frowned; where'd she go?