Peter Parker x Friend Reader - Bittersweet

This is unedited and very much hit or miss territory, but I know I haven't updated in weeks so hope you all enjoy. 

It's an amazing feeling. To be friends with someone. So close that you could never imagine your life without them. So close that when you fight, it feels like you've ben punched in the gut and all you can do is listen to sad songs and hope..pray that it will get better. 

And when the argument, no matter how dividing, is brushed under the rug and forgotten about and everything is back to normal, well there's no better feeling. To go back to laughing and joking, cute inside jokes and shared passions for tv shows, all the time ignoring that lingering feeling of awkwardness over the conflict that was never really dealt with. 

But what happens when the person who you told everything to starts to change. When you walk into a room of laughter only to hear the words, "You had to be there. It's nothing, it's not even that funny." They say that, but the second you turn around you hear stifled laughter and it hurts to know that you're not part of the fun. 

It's disheartening. It's downright depressing. Especially when you see the person who made you laugh the most, crying laughing with somebody else. 

So do you stop the fight and watch them be happier with someone else? Or do you keep trying even though you are the only one trying to fix something that has become so broken?

It started with one secret. A small insignificant secret between friends who've known each other for years. No biggie right? Unfortunately wrong. What you'd give to go back in time and go to Peter's with Ned to build that lego Death Star. To have caught Peter in the act, or even to be as smart as MJ and figure it out yourself. 

But you were tired that night. Tired of the fact that Peter didn't hang out with you as much as before, tired of the fact that he was telling you less and less, and rather than experience it for another night, you decided to take a breather. Of course you didn't know at the time that it was the beginning of the end. 

The more Peter pushed you away, probably to protect you at first but once a chasm is created it can never really be bridged, the more you grew to misunderstand one another. You'd say something about a massive test only for Peter to sigh and gently scold, "There's more important things than Spanish." He would walk away with Ned, talking eagerly about something that you didn't know about. He would leave you sitting, wondering what you had done or said to warrant this kind of isolation. 

He'd miss things that were so important to you, the debate team meetings which were the first thing you had both joined as freshmen, coffee and studying in the park because you had started as a tradition when both of your homes were too noisy to work in. 

At first you waited, waited for Peter to show up and apologise. But he never did. So after a while you just stopped waiting. You stopped approaching Ned and Peter because you knew if you did they would stop whispering and engage in stilted, awkward conversation until you left. Once MJ found out, it became too much for you. Your place in the group had been usurped. 

It felt like you had been punched in the face. You spent weeks agonising over text messages and missed calls, beating yourself up for things outside of your control and cursing yourself for not being good enough to be trusted with Peter Parkers big secret. You yearned for your friendship back, though you kept it well hidden at school, and felt thoroughly sad to see the trio laughing with each other, leaving you alone and defeated.

You began to find friendship in other places, talking to other people in your year, your classes and in sports. The more you drifted from Peter, the more Peter grew distant, upset with you for leaving him when in actuality, it was he who had left and expected you to hang around.