CHAPTER 30: CHOICES

Todoroki sat in the back of the limousine quietly. Next to him sat Midoriya who was trying to preoccupy himself by looking out the window at the people and buildings they passed. Such an awkward situation they found themselves in. Which is not what one of them intended.

"Still not very talkative are you?" Midoriya finally broke the silence.

"Is that a bad thing?" Todoroki asked as he side eyed him.

"Not at all." Midoriya smiled pleasantly. "It means you're more a person of action rather than words. I like that."

"You know you didn't have to give me a ride." Shoto pointed out.

"Yeah, but where I'm going happens to be close by to the hospital your mom is staying at." Izuku explained. "How are things by the way? With your family that is?" He was given only silence instead of an answer. "I understand if you don't want to talk about it."

"No it's alright to be curious." The dual quirk wielder took a breath before continuing. "After I was legally emancipated from my father's custody, Natsuo moved out. My sister Fuyumi is the only one who stayed behind and she won't leave no matter what we tell her."

"After all this time she's still trying to hold together a family that's long since shattered." Izuku truly thought it sad and tragic. He honestly applauded Fuyumi for her efforts, but there are some things that just couldn't be repaired. "I don't know what to tell you. I've never really had a father in my life, my mother took care of me so I'm not the best person to go to for family advice."

"What happened to your father?" Now it was Shoto's turn to be curious.

"I don't really remember much of him. He had to work overseas and left when I was about five years old." There was something odd about the rushed and apathetic way he spoke. Todoroki decided to leave it alone though. Like Izuku said it wasn't his place to pry, but talking about it did help. "I believe this is your stop." The limousine came to a halt at the main entrance to the hospital. There one of Titans opened the door for Shoto. The boy eyed the machine that was part of the team that patrolled around the facility. One of the benefits to being part of Izuku Midoriya's Knights of Balance was a troop of Titan robots to protect each of their families and loved ones. "Call when you're ready to leave." Was all Izuku said as the door was closed behind Todoroki. Shoto silently waved at the vehicle and went inside the hospital to see his mother. After checking in at the front desk he went up the elevator to her room. He slowly knocked on the door and took a step in to see his mother's smiling face. "Hi...mom." She returned his greeting as she sat by the window in a chair.

"Hello Shoto, its been awhile." She commented on the boy's absence. Rei understood completely though. With all the training and school it was probably hard to find time.

"I'm sorry." Shoto apologized regretfully as he moved closer. He let her gently pull him into a hug. It was awkward the first time it happened when he visited, but he was slowly getting used to this and returned the embrace.

"It's alright, you have a lot going on." This was his first day off in a while. "So how have you been? Last time you said something about making an important decision." Shoto decided to tell her everything. He told her how he dropped out of U.A, joined up with Midoriya, his reason for joining him and the Hero Regulation Department. Shoto also told her about his other former classmates who joined him. She was surprised to hear some of things he said, but she'd seen the news and knew who Midoriya was already and what he'd done. She didn't exactly approve, but if Shoto trusted him then it was alright.

"Mom...I need to know...do you think I made the right choice?" The dual quirk user wanted to know and who better to tell him than his own mother.

"Do you think you made the right choice?" Rei asked him the same question.