Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

"You got to admit, Alex is a good actor."

"Fuck you Zayn," I say and he laughs.

"But," Zayn responds, "you date Niall?"

"I don't really know. I mean we went on a date and then he like poured his heart out to me and made me believe that he wanted me, but then he betrayed me. I'm sorry I'm telling you this..."

"It's okay Emily." Zayn responds and places his hand on my shoulders as he stares at me with sympathetic eyes.

"He even confessed to me that he's a virgin."

"What?!" Zayn says and then places his hand over his mouth then bursts into laughter, "Niall? A virgin?"

My mouth is agape as Zayn nearly falls off the bed in laughter.

"But..."

"What did he even say to you?"

"He said he's never found 'the one' to lose his virginity to until he met me."

"I'm sorry," Zayn responds between laughs, "but he lied to you."

"He also said that you treated him like shit and called him gay because he didn't have sex!" I yell.

"That's not true! He told you that too?"

"Yeah..."

"Like I said, we were very close until the accident. We actually got along pretty well; it was actually surprising that five boys that lived in the same house got along so well."

"But why would he lie to me about that?"

"He wanted you to feel sympathy for him, so you would have sex with him. That's his trick. He's done it for years. I'm so sorry Emily," Zayn says.

I close my eyes and take a deep breath to try and hold back my tears.

"But why should I trust you? You could be lying to me for all I know. I feel like I can't trust anyone anymore."

"You don't have to believe me, but there is no reason for me to lie to you."

"You're right. At least I didn't have sex with him so that's good, but I have to fucking work with him every day."

"Yeah that sucks. But what all happened between you two?" he says.

I then tell Zayn all that happened within the last few days. I really shouldn't be telling him this much, but the innocence in his eyes is so welcoming.

"I'm so sorry Emily, but you fell into his trap."

"I know. I'm so fucking stupid. It's like he didn't even give a shit about me."

"That's probably not true. I'm sure he liked you, but Niall really shouldn't have lied to you like that."

"Yeah, I know," I say, "But what about you Zayn, how do you stay so positive in times of such distress?"

"Well you see, for these past two years, I've been living out of cases, packing up and taking off, made a lot of changes, but not forgetting who I was."

"That's beautiful Zayn."

"Uh, thanks Emily."

"I love your tattoos by the way."

"Thanks. Me too," Zayn responds.

"Anyways," I say to break the awkward silence, "who are you guys? What are you guys? Are you a gang or...?"

"Yeah, a gang. Maybe the worst gang in Chicago. They steal, murder, rape, and even worse things. And my dreadful brother is in charge."

My eyes grow wide and my mouth drops open.