"What about you?" Katara asked.

To her words Jet stopped walking,

"The fire nation killed my parents. I was only eight years old. That day changed me forever"Jet flinched.

"Sokka, and I lost our mother to the fire nation. Lyra was there when it happened. He burned her, and caused permanent blindness. I worry she might get hurt again, and something worse will happen..." Katara frowned.

"I'm so sorry, Katara. That you lost your mother, and that you have to take care of your sister." Jet sympathized.

"Honestly, I have to do everything for her. She can't gather the right food, she can't see colors so she looks like an idiot when she wears mismatched clothes. Her hair's always a mess, she messes up the bags all the time, and she can't do anything on her own!" Katara vented.

Jet patted her back in response,

"Then let her go, maybe she can learn to be less useless." Jet advised.

I shrunk in on myself,

Was I nothing more than dead weight? Is that all I am? A useless, ugly lump, not worthy of a grain of dirt beneath my feet? Worth less than even the most disgusting swamp? Was I supposed to die when I was hit by that fire?

I hadn't realized how dark my thoughts had become as the calming void turned bitter, and cold.

I felt something warm shove my side.

Tears fell down my face, and I hugged Asura.

I lifted myself onto her back and she pushed of the branch we'd been resting on.

She flew for several minutes and I found how the air grew warmer.

I heard waves against a beach and we arrived at a river.

I smiled,

"You know me too well, My Loves" I said softly.

We landed and I found a small pool beside a geyser.

The water was way to hot so I cooled it with my waterbending and slowed the fast moving water molecules to a slower pace. Instantly the water was much better. Even Asura hopped in beside me once she dipped a paw in and found it to be of her liked temperature.

I pulled my hair down from the braid I had it in.

Asura took off once she found I had settled in nicely.

I had taken off my somewhat dirty clothes. I had done washing earlier before we left.

I took off my clothes and bands that had tarnished somewhat. I left the bands beside me and did the same with the wrist cuffs I usually wore.

I let my clothes rest in a clear area and used rocks to prevent them from floating away.

I stepped into the river to wash myself when Asura arrived with my bathing supplies.

"Thank you, Darling. I'll join you in a little bit." I said warmly.

Instead of going to the hot bath that she clearly took pleasure in she stood watch until I had scrubbed every inch of my skin with my sponge, and then massaged in jasmine oil. I scrubbed away the dirt in my hair until my scalp felt like it had lost a pound of dirt.

I grabbed my carved whalebone brush which Sokka had carved long ago with my favorite animal when I was seven or eight. All I know is, it was before I was blind.

I brushed through my tangled hair as Katara's words echoes in my mind,

"-always a mess"

"Her hair's always a mess"

"-can't do anything on her own!"

"She's a useless-" my thoughts stopped abruptly as Asura shoved my side and whimpered.

"Thank you, Baby. I don't know what I'd do without you." I said truthfully.

She gently grabbed my hand with her beak and sat down on one side. As if she was guiding me.

I laughed and finally undid the blindfold. My face felt both warm, and unnaturally cold. The cold from tears that continued to drip down my face.

I sat down in the water, beside Asura who had begun to purr, approvingly.

The water was just the right temperature as crickets began to chirp once they realized we meant no harm- or at least I didn't. I wasn't sure about Asura as I didn't have a doubt in my mind that she'd probably want a protein filled snack after relaxing.

I allowed the hot water to melt away the aches as if it was butter. With the aches came the pain and I found myself drowsing out.

--------

Soooo I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! Have a great day, and stay safe, and healthy! I'll see y'all in the next one! Bye my Bookworms!
-Rose