THE VIAL

I pulled out a vial that contained a dark purple liquid and rolled it in my hand.

"What... is it?" I asked softly, going to unstop it when a pale, cold hand seized my wrist. I jumped, looking up into the most amazing golden eyes I've ever seen.

"Poison that infiltrates the body through the skin and melts a person from the inside out," the man said. He had a painted face and a funny headdress thing. His teeth were yellow, but looked naturally yellow. His face was so close to mine that I blushed.

"Oh! Uh... Congrats?" Rangiku said, looking unsure. "You got Mayuri!"

"Ma... yuri....?" I repeated slowly, not looking away from him.

"Hm... Yes," he mumbled, standing straight and going into a closet. I looked at Rangiku, who was mouthing: go with him.

I mouthed back: really?

She hesitated, but nodded. So, going off her insistence, I got up and hurried after Mayuri. I stopped outside the closet, looking at his beautiful eyes as they watched me.

"Don't be shy, Claire!" Orihime said, pushing me forward. I gasped, stumbling and tripping. I automatically grabbed the front of Mayuri's shirt to steady myself. The door slammed shut, leaving me trapped with Mayuri.

"S-Sorry!" I squeaked nervously, letting go of his shirt. "I-I'll find the l-lights."

I felt around the walls, past shelves, trying not to trip.

"I suppose I'll help," Mayuri sighed, and I heard him rummaging around as well. After a minute or so, something nudged my shoulder. And before I could think that it was Mayuri, I instinctively jumped away, hitting a wall, something fell off a shelf.

"Hey!" Mayuri yelled indignantly.

"O-Oh! Sorry!" I said. As I steadied myself, the lights flickered on. I looked at Mayuri, who's hand was retreating from a chain hanging from the ceiling. He was soaked. "Did... I cause that?"

He glared at me. "What do you think?"

I gulped. He was pretty scary.

He must have noticed my expression, because he looked away and sighed in clear annoyance.

"I-Im sorry..... I didn't mean to......" I mumbled, taking a towel from a shelf. "Please let me help."

He watched as I approached. I had to stretch up on my tiptoes as I gently dabbed at his cheeks, trying to dry him off.

"It's fine, I suppose," Mayuri grumbled. I blinked when I accidentally took off some of his makeup. Tan skin lay beneath it. "What are you staring at?" He demanded. I blushed.

"N-Nothing!" I said quickly.

"You are a terrible liar," he said with a smirk. I blushed more.

"Why do you cover your face?" I asked softly, looking at him as I continued to clean him up. But I wasn't trying to spare the makeup. "Are you not satisfied with how you look?"

"Well, why do you wear such baggy hoodies?" He retorted. "Are you not satisfied with your body?"

A small smile tugged its way onto my lips. "Touché."

He stared at me. "You don't seem nervous any more. Why?"

"I guess I've just warmed up to you," I whispered, blushing. "I mean, you're not a scary as I though, Mayuri."

His face was clean, he looked confused. He had a handsome face, I wondered why he kept it covered. I reached up to remove the headdress, but his hand caught me.

"Don't," he growled. I just smiled at him.

"It's okay."

He hesitated, but released me. I took off the headdress. His hair was still deep blue, but short and messily cut. It was cute.

I blushed and looked down.

"Do I repulse you?" Mayuri asked coldly.

"N-No!" I said quickly. "You don't, really. It's just....... You're handsome..." I mumbled the last two words as quietly as I could.

"What?" He asked, suddenly smirking.

I blushed more and mumbled it again. "You're handsome."

"I'm sorry," he said, putting his hands on either side of my head so I was trapped against the wall. "Say again?"

"Why do I have the feeling you heard me the first time?" I grumbled. He chuckled, and it struck me that he was mere inches away. I could feel his breath on my lips.

"Because I did," he answered. He kept getting closer, and his lips barely brushed against mine when the door swung open.

"Times u- woah!"

Mayuri disappeared in a flash, leaving me there, holding his headdress, staring in shock at the crowd outside the closet. My fingers went to touch my lips, which tingled.

"What happened?!" Rangiku demanded. I snapped out of it and squeaked, my face turning cherry red. I slid to my knees, my hands flying to my burning cheeks.

"Ah! Claire!" Orihime panicked.

"What happened?" Ichigo asked, helping me up. I opened my mouth, but a blue and tan blur swooped me off my feet and jumped out the window. I clutched the front of Mayuri's shirt and looked up at him. He smirked at me.

"I won't drop you," he promised. He pressed his lips to mine as he ran. I had no idea where we were going, but I was perfectly fine with it.