Of Knights and Aelf

The 6th Society (The Knights) are the main fighting force of the Societies. They have cordial relationships with most of the other Societies because they are extremely dependent on their support functions.

Knight weapons and healing potions are made by Alchemysts. The Psychic Network provides their long-range communication. The Faerie provide transport and training Facilities as well as Intel. Aelfan even give combat support.

Knights descended from both the 5th and 4th Societies. As stated earlier in this book, there are a whole lot of them. Knights form almost 50% of the total population of the Six Societies. They are organized into Geographical sectors. A Strategos heads each Sector.

Knight Sectors that are slightly isolated and yet have low populations (Island states for example) are known as Garrisons. The British Garrison is an unusual one. It has a small land area and yet has a Knight population higher than some sectors. As at Year 1 of The Rising, there are 49 Sectors and Garrisons.

The 5th Society, Aelfan, are more commonly known as Tweakers in the present age. The word Tweaker is actually slightly derogatory. Strictly speaking, only Aelfan acolytes are Tweakers. To call a fully trained Aelfan a Tweaker would be akin to a proverbial slap in the face (and could very possibly result in a literal slap in the face).

Aelfan are commonly thought of as being self righteous and inclined towards honor. Most Society will tell you that Aelf tend to “Do what is right before what is necessary”.

Scene 3 of The Rising gives a clue to the role of the Aelf in the Societies:

Knights are defenders and the Aelfan are enforcers of Society Law. Psychics maintain the Network” – Sir Julius Comfrey

As one of the three Military Societies, Tweakers [ahem] I mean Aelfan enforce general Society Law, in extreme ways – usually as they see fit. The problem with Aelfan justice is that it is almost impossible to prove that Aelf in fact executed it. Aelfan are most famously known for [redacted to prevent spoilers]. This puts a rather large spanner in the works of a possible Seventh Society.

Aelfan are not half as numerous as Knights. They form only about 10% of the Initiated. Their administrative Districts are Dioceses and these are overseen by Archons.

Unlike Knights, Aelfan have fewer Candidates (12) than they do Dioceses (26). This means that several Archons have oversight over multiple Dioceses. Judges (colloquial – Thesmothetai) are the actual administrators within Dioceses. Judges are typically pre-Candidate masters of both Aelfan Paths. There are 29 Aelfan Dioceses