13- Idol

Pixis was satisfied with Eren's answer. "Excellently said. You have the heart of a lion." He complimented. "Staff Officers up! We have a plan to flesh out." Pixis called.

"Wait we can't actually be moving forward with this as our strategy. It was just something I tossed out there." Armin said. "I was thinking the same thing. Except, he seems like a guy who knows what he's doing. Has it all under control, like we can't see the forest from the trees but he's got a bird's eye view." Eren said. "You think so?" Armin said. "I do. Either way we got a whole other problem to address before we can get your plan off the ground and my gut tells me the Commander's keenly aware of it." Eren replied. "Which would be...?" Armin questioned. "Titans aren't our only enemy." Eren said.

"Look sharp soldiers." Pixis said, causing the four cadets to turn around. "The fate of humanity rests on your shoulders."

Eren, Y/N, and Commander Pixis were walking on Wall Rose past the cannons, the two young cadets listening while the Commander talked. "It's thought by many that before the Titans held sway, mankind consisted of scores of different races, different greeds, all scratching and biting at each other for blood. It's not difficult to believe that second part. Some wise men or others reputed to have said, though understand I'm paraphrasing here, that humanity required an enemy greater than itself just to survive. What do you suppose he could have meant?"

"This is the first I've ever heard it sir. I guess, he'd all thought we'd join forces? Some wise man." Eren said. Pixis laughed at his response. "I like the way your mind works. You're almost as twisted and cynical as me." He said. "Well it's obvious to me the guy didn't have a clue what he was talking about. C'mon here we are with an enemy greater than ourselves barring down and look at us." Eren said. "Exactly. If our species doesn't pull it together soon, Titans will merely be the instruments of our demise not the cause."

Garrison soldiers were refilling cannons when Y/n, Eren, and the Commander walked by. They all stopped to salute. One of the soldiers there was Hannes, who was glad to see that Eren was still alive. "Eren?" He said causing Eren to turn his head in Hannes's direction. "Well I'll be damned." Hannes said. He saw that Eren was pointing his finger downwards. Wait what? Is he...? That little punk is telling me to get back to work! At least I can assume Mikasa and Armin are alright judging by his attitude. Still though, why in God's name is he with the Commander?

Pixis once again took out his flask from earlier, taking a swig from it. "You kids care for a swig?" He asked. "Sure." Y/n said. Pixis smiled
handing her the flask. She took a swig with ease much to the surprise of both Eren and the Commander. "Uh I'll try some too." Eren said. Y/n handed the flask to him and he quickly took a swig as well before spitting out the liquor in disgust, making Y/n laugh.

"You know I wouldn't mind a kiss for good luck before we head out, Y/n." Eren said smirking. "Seriously Eren?" Y/n said, rolling her eye. "What? It's not like you haven't kissed me before." Eren responded. "I haven't really kissed you." Y/n said. "Oh yeah? Then what was that thing we did before you left to join the elites? A mouth hug?" Eren said, laughing at his own joke. "A mouth hug? Seriously?" Y/n said. "What I meant was that the kiss was over in like a second. I barely had time to process what was happening. I don't even think I kissed you back."

"Well then how about I give you time to process this one." Eren said leaning in towards Y/n. She covered his mouth with her hand laughing. "Everyone's lives are depending on whether you can lift a boulder or not. Focus on that for now and if you somehow manage to pull it off, I'll consider kissing you." Y/n said removing her hand from over his mouth and walking off towards Mikasa and Armin.

Eren watched as she walked away. A soft smile formed on his lips. "Well your girlfriend certainly knows how to keep you humble." Pixis said, startling Eren. He had completely forgotten that Pixis had been walking ahead of him. "With all due respect sir, she's not my girlfriend." Eren said, a hint of sadness in his voice. "Oh? Forgive me then. I just assumed seeing as the way you two act with one another." Pixis said. "What do you mean?" Eren asked. Pixis let out a chuckle. "You don't see it? My god you must be dense."