Chapter 37 ~ Empty

Start from the beginning

That's when I see them.

The discolouration of her skin, the black and blue, green and yellow that overpowers her pale complexion. Her entire back is covered in bruises, some look fresher than others but they're all as bad as each other, there's more colour on her back than there is paleness. Red marks lay at the base of her neck and when you look closer you can see cuts. Deep fucking cuts that scorn her already damaged body. Some look scarred over but others look red and swollen, barely holding together and I doubt dancing with them is easy.

My heart thumps wildly in my chest. What the fuck are those. How the fuck did she get them. My stomach heaves at the sight and I'm struggling to keep my temper under control. It's breaking through, bubbling in my fucking veins. Someone has hurt her. They've fucking hurt her.

I storm into the studio. "What the fuck are those!" I shout through gritted teeth. I don't want to shout at her, I didn't mean to. I'm not angry at her I'm angry at whatever fucker has done this to her.

She jumps and quickly runs to grab the hoodie she threw to the side earlier. I rush over and grab it before she can, holding it hostage in my hands. She looks distant, frantic. She uses her small arms to try and hide her torso but it's the exact same. Deep coloured bruises scatter her stomach and rib cage. Broken skin sits on her arms with the accompaniment of what look like lash marks and large darker bruises.

My frustration increases, her entire body is covered in them, riddled with pain and torment. That's why she was wincing every time she moved. I'm not fucking surprised, she looks like she's got a few broken ribs at least! Even her face is sporting some dark bruises and a busted lip, a slash on her eyebrow, a swollen nose and eye socket, which she has successfully hidden with her hair and the power of makeup, unnoticeable to anyone just passing.

"Atlas. What the fuck are those." I step closer to her causing her to jump back a good few steps from me. She's petrified...of everyone.

"Dance injuries." She mumbles starting to walk away from me.

"Don't fucking lie to me! I know what sports injuries are and they are not it! Is this why you've been avoiding us all week? Blocking our numbers?" My voice is rising and I'm trying so hard to keep a lid on it. I don't want to scare her anymore, she looks like a hedgehog caught in the light, curling into herself with prickles keeping everything else out.

"No! I just need to focus, friends don't get me scholarships." She grabs her bag from the floor wincing as she bends, "Please just leave me alone Blaze, just leave it alone." She sounds tired, defeated.

"No," I say calmly.

"Why not! Just leave, it doesn't matter! It shouldn't matter Blaze! Leave me alone, it's better if you leave me alone. If everyone just leaves me. " I can see her breathing getting more rapid, tears welling in her eyes. She's petrified and I ache for her. I can't stand seeing her like this. If she thinks I'd ever fucking leave her, she's insane.

"No Atlas." I take a step closer to her but she moves away again, hurt ripples through my chest.

"Why!" She nearly shouts, supprising herself, tears drip down her cheeks. A disgruntled moan coming from her throat.

"Why? Why! Because I fucking care about you Atlas!" I shout running my hands through my hair, muscles tensed. Her eyes look up to mine, "I care about you so so much." My voice softens and I reach out to grab her arm gently. She turns to me, her eyes glassy, bloodshot and more torn than I've ever seen before, cold and pained. She's on the verge of giving up, I can see the resilience in her eyes dying out. She needs to know how much I fucking care about her and if she were to leave me... I would be broken, lost.