Chapter 1 Caldor's Decision

Start from the beginning

"B-22!" He called out to his artificial intelligence.

"Yes sir," the A. I replied with a smooth, buttery voice.

"Identify the intruders."

"Sir, it would seem that Codex's Task Force is behind the intrusion," responded the A.I.

From the utterance of B-22's words, Caldor's pulse increased astronomically. It was in such a way that he could hear the rapid thump of each beat reverberating from his heart. His eyes protruded with shock while his breathing increased.

"Wait, what are they doing here?" Astrid inquired, who pushed her hair backward.

He sat back on his chair and rubbed his face while a stream of thoughts clouded him. He then placed his finger under his chin and thought for a while. After some time, a daunting revelation hit him hard.

"They are here for our kids."

"What?!" She exclaimed, walking around the spot she stood on while fiddling with her fingers. She then placed her hand on her head, taken aback by what he said. It would seem that her fears have manifested into materialization. If that were the case, her world would instantly fall apart.

"I warned you about this!" She shouted, as her clenched fists slammed against the table with force. "I told you it was a bad idea for you to experiment on our kids. Now they are in danger because of you!"

Slowly, he arose from his seat and placed his hands on her shoulders.

"Dear, calm down." He spoke calmly.

She, on the other hand, was fuming. Her face was red, and it looked like steam would whistle out of her ears.

"Don't tell me to calm down. It's because of you we're in this mess!" She clutched onto his collar violently. Although Caldor was the one to blame, his tranquil demeanor touched her, awakening her from an abyss of impulsiveness. She took a deep breath to appease her wrath.

"What are we going to do?" She inquired. Desperation was etched on her countenance, not knowing what to do as their children's lives hung in the balance.

"Get the kids ready. We are sending them far from Codex."

Without hesitation, she nodded and rushed to their chamber to prepare their children for a launch-off. When she arrived, she found her eldest son, Seth, watching over them. Although Seth was the oldest among the other four, he was still a child while the others were babies. He stood relatively close to one of the four babycotpods. They were Codex's form of cradles, and they had a built-in hood-in hood with a retractable handle.

Astrid hurriedly entered the chamber and was accompanied by eight androids who helped her carry the pods downstairs.

"Mom, what is going on?" He asked, wondering why she was transporting his siblings to a different location. She paused and lowered herself to his height. Her eyes welled up with tears, feeling the scrutiny of sending her kids to a faraway place.

"Honey, remember when I told you that there'll come a time when your father and I will have to send you away for a while?" She addressed with an ingratiating smile.

He nodded while she caressed his cheeks.

"Well, that time has come, dear." She wiped a tear that drizzled down her left cheek.