The black quill D.M

"A month?!" you protested in disbelief, looking up at Umbridge from your seat.

"Unless you would like to lose your house all of its points, your one months detention stands" Umbridge explained making your jaw clench.

"You can't do that! That's completely unfair!" you exclaimed standing up from your desk.

"You've just lost ten and detention starts today would you like to continue this conversation and make it twenty points and two months detention?" she asked, making you huff and sit back in your chair.

You glared at her behind her back, quickly looking back down at your paper when she turned. There was no way you were going to land yourself two months of detention with Umbridge. You could hardly stand the thought of the month you had ahead of you. You were in a grumpy mood during lunch, not even Draco's arms around your waist could help you calm down.

"Why are you pouting?" Draco asked, tapping your lip only to earn a dirty look from you.

"Umbridge gave me detention for a whole month" you explained through gritted teeth. You knew Draco wouldn't show much remorse. He had been sucking up to Umbridge ever since she started taking over and making obscene rules at Hogwarts.

"Why? What'd you do?" he asked, making you roll your eyes.

"You're just going to assume I did something worthy of a month's worth of detention?" you challenged, waiting for Draco to understand what the look on your face meant.

"Alright" he sighed, sitting up pulling you closer "I reckon it's her fault then" Draco sarcastically explained, making you scoff.

"You're an idiot" you seethed, pulling yourself out of his arms, walking back to your room before lunch could end.

You groaned before throwing yourself on your bed, shoving your face into the pillow before you had let out a frustrated scream because of your day. You'd stayed there for as long as you could, dreading your time with Umbridge when it hadn't even started.

"Lines?" you asked, looking up at Umbridge "Do I look like a child?" you quipped, your eyes narrowing when you looked up from the paper and quill you'd been given. "You expect me to write without ink?" you challenged, tapping your fingers on the table with a heavy sigh as you became impatient.

"You won't be needing ink" Umbridge explained, making your eyebrows knit in confusion "I think 'I must not speak out of turn' written for half an hour will do" Umbridge gave her fake sweet smile, making you roll your eyes.

You tapped the quill to the desk for a few seconds before holding it correctly, skeptical of anything coming out of the tip when you touched the paper. You began writing the sentence, feeling a tugging at your skin made you shake it thinking it was asleep. It wasn't until you lifted the quill off the page that you felt the sharp digging pain in your palm making you let out a cry in surprise. Your attention turned to your hand and your eyes widened when you'd seen the blood pool in the shape of the words you'd written.

"Why can't I hold your hand?" Draco asked a week into your punishment. The longer it went on the more snappy you got at him, unable to understand his fascination with Umbridge.

"Why can't you admit Umbridge isn't good for Hogwarts?" you fired back making Draco sigh heavily.

"That's what this is about? Your lines? They're lines Y/N, you'll live" Draco explained with a shake of his head. It had taken everything in you to keep it a secret and not tell him exactly what writing lines for Umbridge meant, but you hadn't felt like arguing any longer.

It was the last day of detention, and you were sure it had been the worst it had been. The pain had started the second the black quill had touched the paper. You gritted your teeth, your vision becoming blurry.

"Professor" you heard the familiar voice from behind you making you stiffen. You managed to hide it from him all this time, why had he magically appeared on the last day? "You asked to see me" Draco explained and you felt eyes on you. You turned your head to the side, trying to keep yourself out of view of Draco.

"Draco, yes. Give me a second, Miss Y/L/N is almost finished" Umbridge explained and that pulled a sniffle from you, your nails digging into your palm when you felt a deep pain that reached your bones. Draco's head shot over to you, all too familiar with the sound.

"That can't be allowed!" Draco exclaimed in astonishment when he finally took in your state, noticing the blood drip from the open wound on your hand.

"I'm sure she's learned her lesson. You may go" Umbridge explained, turning her attention to you. "Leave the quill and paper on the table" she smiled and you cradled your hand to your chest, quickly leaving the room before Draco could stop you.

"Y/N! Wait!" Draco called after you, his footsteps filling your ears. You sped up, almost running the rest of the way to your room. "Let me see" Draco begged, holding his hand out when he had finally caught up to you, gently brushing his fingers across the back of your hand.

"You didn't care, remember?" you asked, pulling your hand away from his blinking the tears out of your eyes. "I reckon it's her fault then" you mocked him from a month ago. "All this. For a month straight. For speaking, Draco. You never shut your mouth, yet I ask a simple question and I get punished for it" you explained shaking your head. "I really can't believe you didn't see it" you huffed in frustration, grabbing the supplies you'd been using for the past week, stopping when Draco's hands covered yours.

"Let me fix it" he whispered, making your eyes close in thought.

You couldn't deny you'd wanted this ever since the first day you started detention. Silently you watched as Draco mended your wounds, closing them up the best he could before putting his wand away. He cleaned the rest up before putting gauze over it, grabbing the bandages out of the box. He started wrapping your hands, and you never took your eyes off of him, watching the concentration on his face.

"All done" Draco smiled softly, kissing the bandaged skin gently.

"Thank you" you whispered, your eyes soft and glistening.

"I'm never going to let that happen to you ever again" he promised, his thumb caressing the bandage.