vii. safe and sound

pairing: bucky barnes x reader (feat. sam wilson, steve rogers, and natasha romanoff)

a/n: this one's probably going to be a bit on the longer side and it's a bit angsty, but i hope y'all enjoy another roommate au imagine :).

***

"he's here!" y/n called out into the loft after the doorbell rang.

she quickly smoothed out the blouse that she was wearing before going from the kitchen to the entryway to answer the door for her boyfriend of two and a half weeks. y/n was a little bit anxious about tonight's dinner since this was lance's, her boyfriend, first time coming to the loft and meeting her three roommates plus natasha. she hoped that nothing would go wrong.

as she walked over to the door, steve, bucky, and sam made their way over to the living room while natasha was still in the kitchen finishing up some dinner stuff.

"play nice, ok boys?" y/n pretty much pleaded. "i really want tonight to go well."

"we will, don't worry, y/n." bucky replied with a slight grin.

"if they don't, i'll have stark give them extra training this week." nat said.

y/n chuckled softly before she opened the door to see lance with a nice bouquet of f/fs (favorite flowers). "yay, you made it! i hope getting here wasn't too difficult."

"it wasn't, dear." lance assured his girlfriend as he handed her the flowers. "i did almost go to the wrong door though."

"i'm glad. and thank you, these are beautiful." y/n said as she led him to the living room/kitchen area.

she set the flowers down on the dining table and then turned her attention over to the three men standing nearby.

"lance, i'm sure you know who they are, but these are my roommates, steve, james, and sam." y/n introduced. "and then this is our friend natasha."

it was obvious that lance recognized the group as being a part of the avengers so he was definitely surprised to see them here of all places.

lance kind of took a moment to comprehend the fact that his girlfriend's roommates were avengers, but then he eventually spoke. "wow, i just wasn't expecting to see the avengers here."

"it's nice to meet you, lance." steve said politely, giving him a firm handshake before the other two men did the same.

as they all waited for dinner to be done in the oven, there was light small talk among the guys mostly, y/n and nat making sure that the boys were behaving around lance. however, it was kind of lance who was acting a little odd. whenever he was asked a question about himself, he'd answer with kind of vague and short replies.

shortly before dinner was ready to be served, y/n pulled lance aside briefly due to her concern. "hey, is everything ok?"

"yes, of course it is. why?" lance replied.

"it's just," y/n sighed. "you're kind of acting weird around everyone. are you uncomfortable because if they're making you feel that way, i'll talk to them."

lance shook his head. "i'm not uncomfortable, i promise. i just had a lot of stuff to do today so i'm a little bit drained."

y/n wasn't completely convinced, but she nodded, not wanting to cause an argument. the couple went back to the dining room and, as if on cue, the timer for the lasagna went off. it was time to eat.

***

dinner went pretty smoothly, although lance was still acting a little off while they talked. y/n decided not to mention it again though since she didn't want to make a mountain out of a molehill.