027

April 4th, 1990
TACOMA WASHINGTON

-
From 5 in the evening to 8 or 9 Courtney and Kurt stayed at the hospital for Danielle.

From 6:30 to 9:30 Krist and Shelli stayed at the hospital for Danielle.

And since 6:30 Dave had waited, and was still waiting for Danielle at the hospital. Everyone was gone, and it was just him looking into the small white room where Danielle laid without an ounce of color left in her. She'd been out for many hours, but Dave never left. He pleaded that the time would go by so quickly. He wanted her to wake up, and he wanted to hold her hand.

The whole night, Dave didn't sleep. He stayed up thinking about what would've happened if Danielle hadn't had a miscarriage. Would it be a girl or a boy? Would Danielle have told him? Would Dave had been a good dad? What sports would his kid play, and what music would his kid listen to.

What would his mom think about being grandma, and his sister and aunt? Most importantly, how would Danielle like him as a dad?

Time painfully passed, and Dave stayed awake in the dark waiting room thinking about everything and anything. Danielle stayed sleeping in her room, her white tank top and black jean shorts still on her. Dave thought about how uncomfortable she would be when she woke up in denim shorts.

This was the 15th time Dave talked to the nurse at the front desk.

"D-do you think she'll be uncomfortable. Being in jean shorts and all?" He asked her. The nurse sighed with annoyance and looked Dave straight in the eyes.

"I understand you're worried about her. But, you have to calm down. She will be fine....."

Dave took these words and sat back down, occasionally spending all of his money buying drinks from the vending machine. All of Dani's favorites. Sure, they'd be warm by the time Dani would drink them, but he couldn't stop. He prayed morning would come soon and Danielle would wake up. But, time isn't friendly.

-

"Dave? Dave, wake up." His sleepless eyes opened to find Kurt standing in front of him. It was 6 in the morning. Dave shot up and looked into Dani's room immediately. His eyes widened as he saw she was awake and talking to Shelli. In a flash, he stood up and rushed into the room. Shelli took the memo and swiftly left. Danielles lip quivered as she looked at Dave. He tried to keep his tears in.

"Dave, I'm so sorry." Dani whispered. His heart broke in two and he softly wrapped his arms around her. He didn't care that he technically wasn't with her anymore. All he wanted was for her to be safe.

"Don't you...." he started to crack, "ever apologize. I- I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I should've b-been there. I should've known- Dani I'm sorry." A couple tears dripped from his eyes. Dani couldn't let him go. She couldn't imagine him crying but now he was.

-
April 5th, 1990
TACOMA WASHINGTON

-

It had been 24 hours since Danielle had woken up. She was finally let out of the hospital, but without a baby. Sure she was broken, but she didn't know what to feel. And it didn't make her sad anymore. It couldn't make her sad, she didn't know how to feel sad. Dave had lied to Dana and told her that he was going to Virginia to visit his mother when really he was still in Tacoma with Dani. Dana had caught a flight back to England.

Right now Dave felt torn. Danielle definitely didn't want anything to do with him in the way he thought. He loved Danielle and knew she needed someone. But, what would Dana think if she knew Dave had lied. What would Danielle think? He torn, torn in two.

The decision wasn't an easy one. Be with the girl he's loved for almost a year...... or be with the other girl he fell in love with. It was an obvious choice to pick Danielle but he knew it wasn't an option. He'd tried that already but his goddamn self couldn't keep away from Dana. He told himself he loved Dana, but he wondered if he only "loved" her because she was sweet and to say the least beautiful.

Danielle was all that and more.

"S-so you've been living with them?" Dave asked a tired Danielle sitting on the couch. He couldn't help but notice how frail she looked. I guess she hadn't eaten anything for about 2 days.

"Well, yeah. I didn't have anywhere to go. I couldn't go back to Seattle either. I quit my job, and I haven't paid for my apartment in a month. They probably kicked me out." Dani quietly smoked a cigarette and blew it to the side.

"Do you think it would be a girl or a boy?" Dave asked thinking of the wonderful feeling of being a dad. Dani smiled feeling some comfort on the topic.

"I'm not sure. I hoped it would be a boy....." she trailed off with a genuine smile. Dave felt proud that he was making her feel a bit happy.

"I don't know. A baby girl would be adorable." Dave bit his lip wanting to hold a small little baby. He only wanted to have a child with Danielle. Thinking about marrying Dana almost sickened him. What ever was he thinking?

"That's true. But, just think about it..... holding a baby in your arms and getting to tell everyone that cute little thing was yours....." her voice cracked ever so slightly as her eyes wetted with tears. She didn't mean to cry, but couldn't help the thought of loosing her baby.

"Oh, Dani, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bring it up like that." Dave felt concerned as he pushing some hair out of her eyes. She sniffled a bit feeling sicker than normal and buried into the couch. Dave put his arms around her and held her to him. What could he do to make this better? How could he once and for all get Dana out of the picture and make her stay out. And how could he get Danielle to forgive him again?