19. rag dolls

I was supposed to call Lana in the night

I was supposed to call Lana in the night. After finding out what those pills really were, I didn't want to anymore. Of course, I didn't know for sure that she was giving me these with the knowledge of what they really were, and I had a good feeling that she was probably just as oblivious as I had been. But just thinking about calling her and just thinking about Lana, Ester, and all the other prostitutes sent a very vile feeling in my stomach.

I probably wasn't the only victim of those horrid steroids.

When Harry went out to take a smoke deep in the woods, my eyes immediately steered to where the telephone was. After much hesitation, I found myself sitting at the end of the couch with the telephone on my lap, hands clinging around the neck of the phone as I debated dialing in Lana. In the end, I found my fingers magically gliding accordingly against the buttons in vivid recalling. I pressed the phone further against my ears, and when I heard Lana's familiar voice, a sharp breath became lost in my lungs.

"Iris?" She answered. "I was wondering when you were going to call."

When I was taking much longer than usual to respond, she became confused. "Iris, is that you? Are you there?"

Finally, I answered. "It's me."

She sighed in relief. "Okay, thank God. I was thinking maybe Beau answered the phone or... that thief! You have a lot of explaining to do."

"I know."

"So, where are you going to start?" She pressed. "Wait, before that, are you okay? How do I know he's not holding you hostage right now and pointing a gun to your head?"

I leaned forward over my lap, pinching the bridge of my nose as I mumbled, "he's not."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah."

"Okay... So, how do you know him!?!" She suddenly bellowed, startling me.

I licked my lips, wondering what to tell her. Normally, I'd say Lana was harmless , but just an hour ago, I had grown very skeptical of her. I wasn't sure.

In the end, I ended up telling her the truth. "He's hiding out in Beau's trailer."

"What?" She exclaimed. "So he lives in the trailer with you and Beau?"

"Yeah."

"For how long?"

I shrugged to myself. "I dunno... maybe a couple of weeks."

"And you didn't tell me until now?"

"Beau told me not to," I mumbled. "I mean, I was told not to tell anyone since he's hiding out from the police."

I heard her hmph as she processed my response. "How has he managed to not murder you on the spot?"

"I dunno."