Chapter Two: The Departure

Start from the beginning

"You don't even know me" I laugh, amused at his proclamation. 

"I know that you're every bit as stubborn as me, if not more so. And I know for a fact that you don't have the qualities I require in a wife besides the power" he says, crossing his arms. 

"Which are?" I question nonchalantly, interested in hearing what these 'qualities' were. 

"You're too headstrong. I need a wife who relies on me and can rule beside me without trying to take over. Someone who can offer me comfort when I need it" he says. 

I wince at this explanation. 

"And I need someone who's not so full of himself that he thinks he gets to pick, yet here we are" I retort, sipping my tea with a roll of my eyes.

 He gives me a deeply offended look, but I can see there's a glint of playfulness in it.

 "I'll try and convince my dad to repeal the engagement" I start.

 Finneas sits up straighter as I say this. 

"But don't get your hopes up. I can't promise anything. Also, until I convince him, we have to play the part." I finish. 

Finneas slumps a little again. I rise from my chair, ready to return to the castle, when the maids return. 

"Walk me to the castle my love?" I say, holding out my arm to suggest that Finneas does so. 

He stands up and laces it through his own arm, beginning to walk me back to the castle. The maids giggle as we leave and Finneas and I exchange proud glances. As we enter the castle arm in arm, my father catches our attention. He's standing near the bottom of the grand staircase talking with a small group of servants. 

"Ah, there they are! I was just trying to find you. You see, I've scheduled for you two to head into the town of Wellingford today. The citizens have expressed that they would love the chance to meet you two as a couple before the wedding arrives so they get to know their future rulers better." My father explains.

 A wave of shock overcomes me and I'm suddenly lightheaded. I sway backwards a bit, allowing myself to be corrected by Finneas, who looks at me, confused. 

My father has kept me within the palace walls since my mother died outside of them when I was only ten, so the fact that he's so willing to let me go now leaves me breathless.

 "Wellingford? Is that within Killigan limits?" I ask. 

"Technically yes, but it's very close to Gateridge borders. Don't worry about it though, you'll be going with Finneas, who will keep you safe" my father says, assuming the reason I was asking was because I was afraid of my safety being compromised. 

"Right..." I reply, ignoring the blatant disrespect of my own father thinking I can't protect myself. Finneas smirks at my clear discomfort. 

"When do we leave?" Finneas asks instead, momentarily minding his own business.

 "Right now" my father replies, pointing to the palace gates that have just now opened to let in a carriage and it's entourage. 

Finneas and I exchange surprised looks, then we start towards the carriage, whose door is opened as we approach by the coachman. Finneas helps me inside first, then climbs up himself, the door closing behind him. 

My father doesn't bother sending us off.  It's only typical, so I ignore it, allowing myself to become excited about the adventure at hand. Then, before we know it, our carriage has set off towards Wellingford.