30

Newt 

They had returned back into the glade, long before dusk, having had a look around. Newt knew Thomas was eager to see more and to know more, but for now, this was all the satisfaction Newt could offer him. It was too dangerous for anyone to be out there, let alone Thomas. Until they had a better grasp of everything, no one would be going in there for more than a couple of hours. 

Thomas had jogged comfortably alongside the other boys for the duration of the trip, asking minimal questions and making minimal complaints, which impressed Newt. He knew how curious Thomas had been, as he saw a lot of his own curiosity that had gnawed at him when he first arrived here, mirrored in the other boy. He was grateful that Thomas understood the danger - or at least Newt hoped he understood. 

They had returned, reported back to Alby, and sat down to eat some food Frypan had prepared. None of them had done consistent efforts of running for a while, so they had all collapsed into their sleeping bags, as soon as dusk came, falling asleep in minutes. 

He had a habit now of standing by the hammocks in the morning, when everyone was up, watching the daily routine pick up, and settle into it's rhythm. It was strange to him that a place that was once so terrifying and strange to him, was becoming a place he could call home. He was proud of everything they had done and everything they had built - literally and metaphorically - here. 

Newt had gotten very close with both Alby and Minho over the time he had spent in the glade and he felt he had drifted a little from them, after Thomas had arrived. 

Naturally, they had never questioned it, and never brought it up, because it isn't every day that the boy you fell in love with shows up. Even if Newt had no full, vivid memories of him, the others saw there was something strong that connected them. But he felt frequent guilt about it, and he wanted to fix it. As daunting as the thought was, it wouldn't just be him and Thomas forever, and they wouldn't be living happily, skipping through the bloody glade forever. He had to be realistic, and find other people he could rely on, who could also rely just as heavily on him. 

So, what was left of his day he was going to dedicate to talking to Minho and Alby, in a first attempt to shift things back to the way they were. 

"Minho!" he yelled, as Minho sauntered past, walking away from Ben, the greenie who had arrived the month before Thomas. Newt had noticed that they had been walking closely side by side, and talking quietly over the past few days. But it wasn't his business. 

"Yeah Newt?" Minho said, jogging swiftly over and leaning against the wooden pole that Newt was standing beside. 

"I just wanted to say something" Newt said, apprehensively. 

Minho didn't say anything, but nodded, indicating that he should say what he needed to say. 

 "I know I've been distant recently, I don't think you can blame me, but I wanted to apologise anyway" he said, looking at Minho, "because I really felt like we had been building a lot of trust, and a friendship, and that means something" 

"I don't want to lose that, just because of Thomas. Don't get me wrong, he's bloody amazing, but you're important too" Newt said, feeling uncomfortably vulnerable. "Listen, I'm not confessing my love for you or anything, but I wanted to check you didn't think I'm an absolute dickhead" 

Minho laughed quietly, but loud enough that Newt could hear it. 

"Of course I don't think you're a dickhead shuckface. You and Thomas clearly have something going on, and I might make fun of you guys, but I'm happy that you've got each other" he stopped to think momentarily, "but you've got me on your side too"

He began to get up from the pole he was leaning on, pressing a firm, friendly hand on Newt's shoulder as he did so. 

"Don't forget it, dumb shank" he yelled back as he walked out into the glade, in the direction of Frypan, who was serving dinner from the kitchen. Newt smiled. 

"That went well" he muttered under his breath, following Minho's path towards Frypan. He was starving. 

After he had eaten, and spoken briefly to Thomas, who - to his surprise - said nothing at all about going back into the maze, he spoke to Alby, who's reaction was much the same as Minho's just containing much less use of "shuck" and "shank". 

Feeling accomplished, he jumped into a hammock, and peered under the canopy at the sky, which was full of stars. He found his miracle star and watched it, until his eyes began to feel heavy and he fell asleep, to the sound of people snoring and whispering around him. 

He woke up and swung his legs over the side of the hammock, deeply inhaling and taking in the crispness of the morning air. He remained in the hammock, sitting and watching all the other boys, as they woke up, got up and headed to eat, and to their jobs. He suddenly thought of Thomas, and how they hadn't seen each other much yesterday. He was sure he'd be sitting in his usual place, against the log. He stretched his arms out above his head and got up, heading towards the fire pit. His eyesight wasn't the best, but even without having to approach the log, he could see no one sitting there. 

"Huh" he muttered to himself, accompanied by a shrug. "Maybe he's gone to eat" 

Newt headed over to the Kitchen, where the majority of the boys sat, eating Frypan's recently prepared food. 

"Morning Fry" Newt said, smiling and leaning forward over the counter so Fry could hear him clearly over the chatter. "You seen our greenie?" 

"I heard someone get up early, but I didn't see who it was, 'cause my eyes were closed and I was half asleep" Frypan smiled sympathetically, "that's all I got man, sorry"

"It's okay, Fry, thanks anyway. Let me know if you see him"

"Of course, Newt" Fry replied with a big, comforting smile, that melted the frown off of Newt's face. He had started to get worried, because he knew how bloody stupid Thomas could be. 

"You don't look too hot" Minho said, slapping Newt on the back while walking past, but stopping when Newt said nothing in response and barely moved. 

"I can't see Thomas bloody anywhere, and I'm worried he's..."

"Gone into the maze" Minho said, finishing Newt's sentence, and slumping down onto the end of the nearest bench. "If he did, he's one dumb shank"

Newt said nothing, anxiously peering out at the open maze doors from afar, his blood going cold. 

"And that's putting it nicely"

HI 

i am warning you in advance that u might be a bit mad at me soon. but ur allowed also to have hope  bc everything will be okay in the end and that is a PROMISE !!! i have now planned this entire fic to the end, and it's a happy ending. so i'll make up for it. 

thank u so much for 18.7k btw. ur the best