27

Thomas

They sat, their backs up against the wall, their shoulders up against each other. Thomas had a distant memory of them sitting together like this before, but he couldn't quite reach it. Thomas had been quiet for some time. He didn't really know where to start, because in truth, he didn't understand how he and Newt knew each other.

"I don't get it" Newt said, turning his head so he was looking into Thomas' eyes. "I can't remember anything. Not my parents, not my age, not where I came from before this.." he paused, shaking his head in disbelief "but I remember you"

Thomas studied Newt's face, his chest feeling warm and safe. He recognised every inch of the other boy's skin, and the particular colour of his eyes, and he had known, the moment he had felt Newt's arms around him that they loved each other. Or had, before they got here anyway.

"I don't remember anything either. But I remember all the feelings I had for you and everything about your face, your hair-" he paused and let himself smile a little. "But I don't remember a single conversation we've had, or any reason why I should be remembering you right now"

Newt nodded. "Neither do I, Tommy" He paused and did a double take. "That's familiar"

"Yeah, you've definitely said that before. It's... kinda comforting"

Newt smiled. Thomas thought it felt off. He didn't know how, but his gut was telling him something was wrong.

"What's up?" Thomas said, putting a hand on top of Newt's.

"Nothing Tommy. Just a lot to take in."

Thomas felt his heart drop a little bit. He so badly wanted whatever they had before this to slot straight back into its place, but he wasn't sure it was that easy. He felt Newt had changed a little since coming into the maze, something the old Thomas wasn't used to. He squeezed Newt's hand.

Newt looked up, his eyes were teary. One slipped out of his eye and drifted softly down his cheek. "I'm sorry, Tommy. It's all bloody coming out today. I haven't had anyone, while I was here. I've made a few friends, but I don't know them like I know you" he took a breath "like I knew you" he paused, and turned to face Thomas. "I haven't been able to be vulnerable" Thomas lifted a hand up and wiped the tear off Newt's face.

"Well I'm here now" Thomas said.

Newt smiled. "You better not shucking abandon me, then"

Thomas laughed. "What did you say?"

Newt stood up, brushed the dust and dirt off of his trousers and extended a hand out to Thomas. "You've got some lingo to catch up on, greenbean" he said, helping Thomas to his feet.

"Don't you start with that green bullshit" Thomas said, shaking his head. Newt laughed.

"It was Alby's idea. I tried to get rid of it, believe me" Newt paused and turned around to look across the expanse of grass around them. "Ah" he said, locking eyes with Alby who was sitting on a bench, watching them.

Newt grabbed Thomas' arm and dragged him in the right direction as Thomas had got distracted staring into the maze. Newt noticed.

"We'll talk about that later"

Thomas nodded, the weight of Newt's hand on his arm, though tight, was comforting. Newt was a lot more confident here than he had ever seen him, and he walked around with authority. Thomas raised his eyebrows to himself, with a smirk. He found it attractive.

"Greenie, are you even listening?" Alby said, waving a hand in-front of Thomas.

"Nope" Thomas admitted, smirking at Newt, who rolled his eyes.

Alby looked impatient, so Thomas quit while he was ahead and stood up a little straighter to show he was paying attention.

"I just wanted to know if you guys talking gave you any ideas about how you knew each other? Got anything at all?" Alby asked, his eyes flipping between them.

Newt shook his head. "We remember each other's faces and personalities and all the-" Newt paused, looking at Thomas. "All the emotions we had associated with each other. But that's all. We don't know why, or how"

Alby nodded. "We must've all come from the same place, what made you two so special that you got to remember each other?" he paused, thinking. "Do you think that means some of us knew each other before?"

"Yeah, I'd say that's possible" Newt said, nodding, crossing his arms over his chest. Thomas had zoned out again, and was just staring at Newt, a tiny smile pulling at the corners of his mouth. He knew this Newt, but at the same time, he stood taller, and was stronger and his skin was slightly tanned and dewy too.

"Stop drooling, shuckface" Minho said with a laugh as he walked past, clearly aimed at Thomas. Newt and Alby laughed, but Thomas felt Newt's eyes soften when he looked at him.

Alby said something to Newt, and walked away, leaving the two boys alone again.

"Hungry?" Newt said.

Thomas nodded enthusiastically. It was about dusk, and Thomas' stomach told him it was time for dinner.

Newt started to walk across the grass towards a group of boys that were sitting by a firepit, of which a fire was just beginning, the flames delicately climbing into the night air. Newt turned back and casually grabbed Thomas by the hand. Thomas couldn't see Newt's face but he knew he was smiling.

They walked together towards the other boys, and sat down on the floor, leaning on a log that was lying a few metres from the firepit.

The boy Thomas remembered as Frypan came over. "Y'all hungry? I got some stew that's hot"

Newt nodded. "Two please, Fry".

"Alright, Newt. Coming right up. Hope you like it greenie" Frypan said with a warm smile. Thomas already liked him. He was kind.

"You're different" Thomas said, watching the shadows of the flames dancing across Newt's face.

"Good different or bad different?" Newt asked, looking nervous.

"Good different. You look like you know what you're doing"

Newt laughed. "So I didn't before?"

Thomas smiled. "Honestly, no I don't think you did. I don't remember why, but you were shy and reclusive, you never stood up for yourself, or showed up for yourself" Thomas paused and watched Newt's eyes as they stared off into the distance, not meeting his.

"But you always showed up for me. Always. I have these distant memories of empty rooms and blank faces, and you, opening your mouth and speaking words that I can't hear. I don't know why you did but you always looked out for me, and put me first. That's why I love you" Thomas said, trying to engage Newt's attention and lock eyes with him. Newt looked at him, his eyes tearful again. Newt put Thomas' head between his hands and kissed him softly.

"Missed you, Tommy"

hi hi hi hi

i missed writing them together so much i am a bit emotional

SO SORRY i left you guys hanging for so long. i kept getting emails of people commenting things like "AAAAAAAAAAAH" so it was quite entertaining, but anyway, i hope u enjoyed this chapter. i'm trying to update more but i'm in a bit of a weird mental place at the moment w very little energy and motivation, but i'll try my best to get u another update soon bc i've got plans for my boys.

it felt different writing newt in this setting now thomas is there, or from thomas' perspective so i hope he still feels like newt, if that makes sense. it just felt a bit off????? but i think we're good and i'm happy w it.

love u guys, thank u for reading :D