The Flames Between Us

She missed him.

She missed him so freaking much.

You know when you feel so heavy but so light at the same time? Well, Mal did. She knew since Ben wasn't there anymore. She had the weight of the world on her shoulders and she missed him so much. Mal didn't know what to do anymore.

- Just remember, Mal, just remember that I love you, ok? – she saw his eyes, there was fear in them, and Ben was never scared. She wished that she could hug him, one last time, before losing him forever. The flames got higher. The girl knew that Ben had to save those poor children. He was king after all.

- Ben please wait. Just promise me that you'll come back from there. You will get out of the flames with the children. But not the children without you. – Ben nodded. There was something in her that was telling her that it was the last time she'd ever see him.

The children were out, they ran to their parents but Ben, he couldn't make it. Mal started crying.

She screamed, and she woke up. – Mal! Sweetie, are you okay? – Belle ran into the room. Mal was crying. She hugged the Beauty. – I miss him, Belle. I can't without him. – the woman cuddled her hair, she was crying too.

A few weeks had passed, and everyone was watching Mal, caring for her, like she would have snapped anytime. She got closer to her father, however she continued to feel that emptiness inside of her.

Mal and Ben still weren't married before the accident. And Mal swore to herself that she would have never got married if it wasn't Ben. Never. But never, sometimes doesn't last for long.

- Benjamin chose you, Mal. So you are going to stay queen even if you two weren't married yet. But you have to marry someone, a man, in order to stay queen. – Maleficent's daughter had never heard a thing more sexist than that. But those were the rules. "But I am the queen after all, I can change these rules." She said to herself, knowing that she couldn't do that. She wasn't capable of that, Ben was. But Ben wasn't there, and she had to manage the kingdom alone. Mal wanted to quit, except that she felt like abandoning and disappointing her true love, if she did.

The next day, a letter arrived at the palace. Why couldn't they just send a text?

"Dear Mal,

I'm sure you've already known the news. I am so sorry for your loss, the kingdom's loss. Ben was such a good guy. Despite that, we have to move on, and if you still want to be queen you and I are going to get married. My family has already arranged it all. Hope to see you in a nice dress.

Yours,

Chad Charming Jr."

Chad? That Chad? No, it couldn't be possible. How come no one said it to her? All of her life without Ben was already planned and she didn't know any of it? She couldn't have a word about her future?

- Mal, sweetie try to calm down. – Adam was trying to calm her down, but he wasn't her father, nor her boyfriend. – I am not your sweetie Beast and I will not calm down. No one has said a word to me like their waiting for me to snap and you plan a freaking WEDDING behind me? Do you know that the wedding is supposed to be mine or have you forgot about that? I am not going to marry Chad Charming. He is vicious and ruthless and cruel. I'm not going to marry that man, nor any other man. – Mal was, in fact, snapping. She was right, though. – Mal, I know this is difficult believe me, I do. But there is no other choice – Adam was once again, interrupted by the girl. – The choice is right in front of your eyes: me. Alone. Did you know that Queen Elizabeth I never married? And now, England is a great country. I can do that. We are not in the Middle Ages, Adam. No more. A girl can rule a kingdom without a king. – she was right, and the Beast knew that. – I know that, Mal. And I am sure you will make a great queen, because Ben was. But it's not up to me. If you don't marry, and soon, the kingdom will feel betrayed. You can rule, Mal. I know you can. – Mal sighed. – But I need a husband. – she didn't want it, and yet she had to do it.