Karen and Joyce both looked over at them before El grabbed both their wrists and headed towards the basement.

"I need to find out where the gate is", El finally said at a normal volume.

"And how do you plan on doing that?", Mike asked.

"It's kinda stupid, but I have an idea."

Mike stared at El for a few seconds as he thought of every negative outcome that could result from this.

"No, El, it's too dangerous! You know that! Don't you remember what happened with Will?! What if something happens to you—"

"But she's my sister—"

"You're not even blood related!" Mike said in frustration as he snatched the blindfold from El.

Will gasped as the room went quiet at the sound of a slap. Mike held his cheek in shock and El's face turned red in anger.

"I don't care!", she shouted back. "When I was with Papa, I had no one. She needs help, and I'm the only one that can help her so Im doing it. So sit down and shut up or fuck off", she finished nearly in tears as she snatched the blindfold back from Mike and turned on the radio.

Will shook his head in disgust and disappointment at Mike and sat down besides El. Mike stood off to the side with his hands stuffed in his pockets and let his hair cover his face while El tied the blindfold around her eyes.

————————

Steve parked on the next block and took the long walk over to the Hopper residence. He figured he'd surprise Jamie with an unannounced visit and hopefully find out why she's been ignoring his calls. He peeked into the window of the door and saw that the house appeared empty.

With both cars missing from the driveway, he started to turn around until something caught his eye in his peripheral. He peeked in again and this time saw Sammy running full force towards the front door. Once he started pawing at the door, Steve reached inside the planter and grabbed the hidden spare key to unlock the door.

"Hey buddy, what's going on?", he said closing the door behind him. "Jamie?!"

Sammy led Steve to the basement door which was locked and Steve's heart began to race. He quickly looked around before unlocking it and turning on the light. Sammy raced downstairs and disappeared which caused Steve to follow quickly behind.

Steve nearly skipped the last few steps as he rounded the corner to find Sammy's body protecting Jamie's head as she started seizing. He rushed over and gently turned her onto her side before reaching in his back pocket for his phone that wasn't there.

"Fuck!"

————————

El opened her eyes and found herself in the middle of a field while standing in a puddle of water. She slowly turned in a circle until she saw someone laying on the ground in the distance. As she ran over, once she got closer she could tell that it was Jamie.

"Jamie! Wake up!", she said in a panic as she dropped to her knees and started shaking her sister.

Jamie opened her eyes but didn't say anything. She laid there as still as a statue staring at El who didn't know what to do.

"Jamie, it's me your sister. Your real sister. I need you to listen to me. I know you're in there."

Jamie continued to stare as her breaths grew heavier which caused El become anxious.

"Listen to me. I know how to get this thing out of you and we're going to help, but you have to fight it! You are stronger than it is."

Jamie seemed to wince in pain with every word El spoke. Tears started to form in her eyes and her breathing became labored as she continued to stare. El held onto Jamie's hand and looked into her eyes before realizing that Jamie had been looking past her the entire time.