5 - sunset hour

"Please Kie, stop, or you'll put me to sleep" Samantha grunted, massaging her temples

      "Please Kie, stop, or you'll put me to sleep" Samantha grunted, massaging her temples. Her night had been sleepless and insufferable, as her terrible headache hadn't sooth. And now, surrounded by an unusual silence, the calming sound of the bongos played by Kiara seemed to invite her to catch up on lost sleep.

      "Bad night, uh?" Pope murmured, almost to himself. For the first time, Samantha felt really bad for him and the whole scholarship situation. Being so near to someone who shot during a beach party probably wouldn't have helped him.

      Before Samantha could reply, the flat calm was interrupted by John B. "Look, I'm callin' it off. All right? Peterkin said if I stay out of the marsh she'll help me with DCS".

"And you believed her?".

"Yes, I believed her, JJ".

"An actual cop, John B. You believed a cop" JJ snorted.

"Actually, I think Peterkin is kinda cool" Samantha said.

      "Look, all I gotta do is stay out of the marsh for a couple of days, and she'll help me out. It doesn't help that your ass was the one shooting a gun".

      "His ass saved yours, John B" Samantha pointed out. The words came out in one go as she recalled the events of the last night. She remembered the crazy stare Topper had, and she wasn't sure he would've stopped if he hadn't been treated.

"Are you saying he did well?".

      "I'm just saying you were in danger and he reacted, with a positive result, sort of".

John B scoffed. "Yeah, really positive".

      "All right man, you know what I should have done? Just let Topper drown your ass" JJ said.

"Pff, Topper was gonna drown me?"

"Sure looked like it".

"Funny".

"Have you looked in a mirror?"

      "The point is that," JJ approached John B, his voice calm but on the verge of exploding. "They always win, don't they, man? Kooks versus Pogues. They always, always win, goddam!".

"Look, it's okay," Kiara replied.

      "No, it's not okay! It is not! They don't want us to go down into the marsh. That means there's something valuable down there, and you know it" JJ pointed his finger at John B. "I know you do. And I understand why you don't wanna go" he continued addressing Pope "You're the golden boy. And you-" JJ pointed at Kiara "I mean, you're already rich as fuck anyway. Why would you bother? Then you," he addressed to Samantha "you have the perfect family worrying for you and you'll get by somehow" Samantha bit her lips, feeling the desperation in JJ's voice. "But you and me, man, we got nothin' to lose! And I know it didn't used to be that way for you, but-".