2 - agatha the bitch

Samantha awoke reluctantly and rubbed her eyes

       Samantha awoke reluctantly and rubbed her eyes. The light from the window bothered her terribly and it took her a while to adjust her vision. She yawned and reached out to stretch, then she got out of bed and walked over to the window. There were broken branches and weeds everywhere and water was leaking from some broken pipe.

       The night before Hurricane Agatha had hit the island hard, and now, in daylight, the damage looked worse than one might think. The costs would have been very high and it would not have returned to normal at least until the end of the summer. They were used to events like that, but it was always sad seeing how one night could destroy everything and provoke serious damages to years of work.

      Samantha left her room to go to the bathroom, and next her door was the one of her prodigious 18-year-old brother, who was so capable of many things that he was able to beat a dormouse at its own game. "Why not disturb him a little?" she thought before knocking insistently on his door. "It's time to wake up, sleeping beauty!".

      "Fuck you" Caleb shouted, his voice hoarse and kneaded with sleep.

      "Good morning to you too," Samantha replied with a satisfied smile. She knew how much he hated being woken up before noon during the holidays.

       Caleb was the model child, every parent's dream. He had always been top of the class, and he had gotten a scholarship to a famous college across the country - so famous that Samantha couldn't remember its name. He was responsible, mature, smart, and bla bla bla ...

      If they could, their parents would have talked about him for hours, but when they had to do it about Sam, their description was limited to "discreet at school, but it's all the fault of her bad company". What a blessing that family.

      She didn't really think that her parents preferred him to her, but the fact was that with Caleb everything was so simple and linear, while with Samantha everything was outside the lines: the school, her "pretentious" character - was that really a negative thing? - her friends, her attitude...
But, for Samantha, being outside the lines was the best part of her life.

       After taking a shower, she got dressed with a red bikini - red was her favorite color, and she could bet on having more red clothes than anyone - underneath a pair of denim shorts and a - also red - top. She walked out of the house and saw her parents getting busy tidying up the garden.

      "Good morning" she greeted them, with a radiant smile. It was a constant on Samantha's face, especially when it came to starting a new day.

       "Good morning dear, how about you help us a little?" Her mother asked, referring to the disaster caused by the hurricane.

      "Uhm, I wish I could but ... Caleb is dying to clean up all by himself and then ... they're calling me! Can't you hear?" Samantha quickened her pace.