1 - paradise on earth

The Outer Banks, paradise on Earth. It's the sort of place where you either have two jobs or two houses, two tribes, one island.

There is Figure Eight, the rich side of the island. Home of the Kooks... So, guess where we don't live.

Then there is the south side or the cut, home of the working class who make a living busing tables, washing yachts, running charters. The natural habitat of... dumbroll please... the Pogues. That's us.
Pogues, pogies, the throwaway fish, lowest member of the food chain.

Okay so, the downside of the Pogue life is we're ignored and neglected, but the upside of Pogue life? We are ignored and neglected, which means we do whatever we want, whenever we want.

It was a warm, sunny day on the Outer Banks and the Pogues were on the balcony of a house under construction that would have belonged to a perfect Kook family

It was a warm, sunny day on the Outer Banks and the Pogues were on the balcony of a house under construction that would have belonged to a perfect Kook family. It wasn't the most legal thing in the world, but neither the most illegal they did.

Samantha glanced up and shook her head amused when she saw her friend John B hovering on the roof. She was sitting on a scaffold next to her best friend JJ; they both rocked their legs and sipped their beer.

As she rested peacefully her head on JJ's shoulder, a light breeze blowed, seeping in her black hair and brushing her face. She closed her eyes, enjoying the inusual pacific moment. The scent of the sea pervaded her nostrils, and the cries of seagulls grew as a flock of them passed overhead.

"Is my shoulder comfortable?" the sound of the blond boy's genuine giggle filled Samantha's ears. She opened her eyes, the light of the setting sun reappeared. "You interrupted my moment of contemplation, JJ" she sighed, but deep down she liked how his voice sounded.

"I bet you got to the part where I'm naked".

Samantha lifted her head, leaving the comfortable spot. "Gross" her lips twisted in an exaggerated grimace of disgust.

"That's what, a three-story fall to the deck?". JJ and Samantha lowered their gaze and looked at Pope who was talking, or rather, yelling, at John B. "I give you about a one-in-three chance of survival".

"I wouldn't even give him one" Samantha intervened, raising her voice to be heard.

"Hey, which side are you on?" John B frowned and turned cautiously to his friend, feigning offense. Samantha winked at him and smirked.

"Jump!" Pope insisted, and this time he pointed a drill at John B. "I'll shot you on the way down".

"What are the chances of him crushing his face on the ground?" Samantha asked JJ.