Dear Austin

On the car ride there, Dave kept babbling about how maybe this little trip to the children’s hospital could change me-make me a better person or something like that- but I wasn’t really paying attention. I was on the phone scrolling through my Twitter feed, reading what my fans were saying about me. I just nodded at the appropriate times, hoping he would stop talking.

By the time we got to the hospital, there were a few paparazzi vans waiting outside with their cameras ready to take pictures of the event. Of course they weren’t coming inside, they weren’t allowed, but they could snap all the pictures they wanted outside so I posed and smiled at every camera I possibly could, waving and throwing up a heart here and there. I have to say, I was enjoying myself, but Dave hustled us inside before I could smile for anymore.

          I dramatically fixed my shirt and straightened my hat before taking a few more steps inside. The woman behind the desk smiled warmly at us, coming around the side and meeting us halfway in the lobby. It was then I realized how cold it was, even though it was freezing outside. But then again, hospitals are always cold so it didn’t surprise me that much.

          “Hi! I’m Katie, I’m so glad you guys so make it.” she thanked us. Her short brown hair came just to her shoulders and it framed her face perfectly, putting together her small frame.

          I offered her the best smile I could come up with and was about to answer when Dave cut me off, afraid I was going to say something, as he would call it, ‘egotistical’. “Thanks for having us! I’m sorry we’re late, Mr. Mahone here got lost in the hotel.” He laughed, throwing an arm over my shoulder awkwardly.

          I lightly punched his side and rolled my eyes at him, kind of embarrassed he brought that up. So, I came to my own defense. “These girls just couldn’t get enough of me.” I shrugged like it was no big deal.

          Katie laughed slightly, growing aware of the small tension in our little group. She cleared her throat and clapped her hands together, “So, shall we get started?” she offered.

          I nodded and she led us to this big room in the back of the hospital where I’m guessing all the kids were hanging out. On our way there, I took my chance to look around a little bit. The walls were covered with constant reminders of what to do if someone is choking and where all the fire escapes were. Room numbers were placed next to each door and if the door was slightly cracked open, you could hear the tiny beeping of a monitor. There were some cheerful things covering the walls too; like drawings or paintings the kids did. There were even some pictures of the kids holding their stuffed animals, a wide smile on their faces. Even at a time like this and being as sick as they were, they could pass for some of the happiest people on this planet.

          We arrived at the back of the hospital to be greeted by a closed door. Katie’s face which earlier held a happy smile now looked like she was pushing away grief. On the other side of the door, you could hear the faint sound of children’s laughter.

          “I should warn you, some of these kids in here are really sick and are barely holding on. Some may look worse than others but they are the happiest people I have ever met. Please, don’t treat them any differently;” she turned to me, “They’re really happy you could be here. There’s one little girl especially that is very excited to see you. Her name’s Rosalie. She’s barely seven and she’s one of the ones who are barely holding on so please-” she took a deep breath before continuing, “Please do your best to make this special for her.”

          I was slightly in shock about hearing this story about Rosalie. She seemed sweet and I wondered how anything this awful had to happen to her. I licked my lips and slowly nodded. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Dave watching me like a hawk. “I promise.” I breathed out.