07: Partying and Aquatics

Start from the beginning

"Skiing?" I asked, bewildered. "But you hated it!"

Erica chuckled. Not a bitter laugh, but a slightly warmer one. "Ben, just because you aren't great at something doesn't mean you can't enjoy it."

"Really? Say that when I get pummeled in Advanced Martial Arts."

"Well, it may be rough at first, but once you get past 'Failed Beginner', it's actually nice. I've been practicing in my free time. Besides, it's not fun when you can master everything. There's no challenge. For example, if you were in art class, you wouldn't want to do a first-grade level color-in-the-lines drawing. You would want something more advanced, like painting a sunset with oil paints."

"I'm not sure I would manage a sunset."

Erica jokingly rolled her eyes. "But you get my point, don't you?"

"Yeah. Now it's time for me to get passed 'Advanced Martial Arts Failure' so I can stop hating it."

Erica let something that sounded like the beginning of a small laugh before I didn't look were I was going.

Now, kids, here's a small Public Service Announcement. Look where you are going, no mater what you are doing. Even if the love of your life is kissing on the lips, don't close your eyes, look at were your feet are going. Even if you are running from an assassin, busy shooting back at them, look at were your feet are going.

You don't want to fall in the pool like me, don't you?

I walked right off the edge of the pool, just like in cartoons, except there was no time for me to realize ground was no longer beneath my feet until I was sinking to the bottom of the pool.

My feet landed on the bottom of the pool. I pushed upwards and made it to the surface, sputtering and shaking my hair from the water.

"POOL PARTY!" Someone yelled. Everyone grabbed some floaties that were conveniently placed and inflated in a corner. Soon people dived into the pool onto their floaties.

I did the natural thing: I ducked after all.

After all, I didn't want my neck to by snapped by some guy on a floatie sailing into the pool.

⚠ Descriptions of near-drowning.

I had nearly downed before. I once jumped into a raging river with Erica.

I didn't do it justice, but the book was a children's book after all. This is a 13+ platform, so I think we're good.

The surface of the pool was covered with floaties. There seemed to be no end. As I roamed the waters, my brain whirred- or tried to. All logic was gone from my mind. It was replaced with anxiety and pure adrenaline.

I tried to overturn one of the floaties, but it was impossible in the water. As my oxygen ran out, I had to resist the instinct to inhale- I would receive nothing but a lungful of water.

Panic raced through my mind. People say that as you die, your life flashes before your eyes. They're wrong, or apparently that's not the case with drowning. There's only one thing on the mind: No no no no no. As time goes on, it becomes slightly more diverse, filled with regret. I should have never entered Elizabeth's Pasternak's backyard why didn't you pay attention to your surroundings stupid stupid idiot this never would've happened if you didn't say yes to Alexander Hale in your living room all those months ago stupid James Bond propaganda

⚠ Drowning end

A hand suddenly appeared between two of the floaties, right in from of me. I reached for the hand and it grabbed me and pulled me out of the water.

The owner of the hand was Erica. She pulled me over the edge of the pool as I coughed and sputtered air, lungs experiencing sweet relief. She let me lean on her as she guided me towards the grass, all the while muttering about idiotic civilians. (A/N I almost put mortal because of the amount of PJO fanfics I read)

We sat on the grass while Erica conjured up a towel.

"You okay?" she asked.

"I think so, although I won't be able to look at the bottom of pool floaties for a bit," I replied.

"Do you have any water in your lungs?"

"I'm not sure..."

"Okay then. Take a deep breath. Good, now exhale. How did you feel? Did you feel a lack of air or feel dizzy at all?"

"No."

"Okay, good." Erica then briefly felt my pulse on my wrist.

"Do you need to talk about it at all?" she asked.

"I think I'm fine."

A lot of people should and need to talk it out. A lot don't need to. I don't. I'll probably not want to go into the pool for the rest of the week, and then forget it. In all honestly, The River was scarier, and it didn't really affect me.

"Okay, so were did we leave off?" Erica asked.

I blinked, surprised at this turn of events. "Umm, planning how I will pass 'Failed Beginner' in Advanced Martial Arts, I believe."

"Alright then. I suppose we don't really have much time right now, but when we get back to St. Smithen I'll try to teach you. Are Saturday mornings good for you?"

"I-uh- yeah," I managed to choke out.

Erica smiled. "Good. Don't forget."

Looks like I just got a date with Erica freaking Hale. Perhaps there is good in this world.

1554 words.

This is later in the day than I would have liked. I completed my homework, but then I procrastinated by watching Saturday Night Live and getting a Spotify account.