Chapter 12

Despite the sun setting on a warm day outside, which should have absorbed into the wood accents of the foyer warming the room, a chill ran through me.

"This way, sir," the teen offered as he led me up the staircase of the mansion.

He called me sir. It felt oddly formal for a nest of zombies. But all other thoughts stopped when he opened the door to an airy office. A sweet-scented breeze washed over me from the open balcony door, and it was there, on that balcony, that I saw her. She was gazing over the darkening vineyard below with her back to me. The white silk of her dress' hem fluttered in the breeze as loose hair danced around her face. I was suddenly transported to the first time I had seen her; my breath escaped me in the same way.

"Sarah," I called to her. My feet must have been pulling me closer to her, but all I knew is I was moving, without any thought, to her.

She turned, and despite the greenish hue that had replaced her porcelain complexion, she was flawless. "Hello, Seth." Her voice soared through me like a cold sip of water on a hot summer day.

"I found you; I really found you," and then I had her within reach. As my arms circled her, I was ambushed by my own happiness, by a small piece of the life I had lost. Her measured smile greeted me when I pulled away. "I can get you out of here," I babbled. "I have a car; we can go wherever you want."

"Get out of here?" A trill of laughter filled my ears. The laughter that had once felt so magical now felt mocking and sinister. "Why would we leave here?"

"Sarah, this place; the rumors..."

"They aren't rumors." The voice that had once felt calm now curdled to menacing.

"Sarah, you don't have to live like this. We are conscious; we can just run away and build a life together. We don't have to be monsters."

"What is a monster, Seth? Is it the frozen heart and greenish hue that makes a monster?"

"No, it's terrorizing innocent people," I argued.

"Innocent people?" Another scornful laugh slipped from her. "They try to kill us on sight. They are far from innocent."

"They are afraid, not dangerous. We are faster, stronger..."

"Exactly, Seth; we are superior. Why wouldn't we take advantage of that?"

"Sarah, this isn't you. It's this place; it's gotten to you."

"Oh, Seth, this is me. This is who I am, who I have always been. While you were busy dreaming of a wedding and children, I was building a career. This change amped it up beyond anything I ever would have been able to become climbing the corporate ladder. This place, this life has made me a queen."

"A queen... this place..."

"This place is mine. I built it." She let her eyes course over the vineyard one last time.

My stomach snarled at her admission. "But, you..."

"I have everything I have ever wanted."

"What about me?"

I expected her eyes to soften. I thought I would impact her, but instead, another laugh slipped from her lips.

"You were a phase. You offered stability to keep me moving forward, but I don't need that stability anymore. I have all the support I need. Besides, it appears you have found someone else." An eyebrow cocked as she moved inside the french doors and plucked up a tablet from her desk. "Or maybe you just travel with a snack."

"What?"

The screen in Sarah's hands played a video of Millie and me. I watched myself lean in and kiss her forehead.

"Millie," escaped my lips.

"So, your snack has a name."

"She's not a snack."

Sarah let out a sigh. "That is what I suspected. You always were so soft. I'm honestly surprised you are even alive. No matter, we won't let her go to waste as you have."

"What? No!" The words roared from me as I bolted for the door. I burst through to find the greeter from the front door holding a struggling Mille. "Let her go; you'll hurt her." I reached out to her as I spoke.

The man shoved Millie to me with a laugh.

"Are you ok? Did they hurt you?" I let my hand flow over her hair as I inspected her.

"I'm fine," she breathed back to me.

"You always were so very pathetic, but to be exceptional and have such boring wants," Sarah chided from behind me.

"Love is not a boring want," I argued as I tucked Millie between me and the wall.

"I could do you a favor; kill the girl for you. Maybe that would finally toughen you up. Maybe then you could be of use."

"He hasn't been completely useless," the greeter offered from the door as he lifted the satchel of Moshio into view.

"Is that?" Sarah's eyes gleamed at the treasure.

"Sure is," the greeter confirmed.

"Give it to me," Sarah demanded as the man tossed her the bag.

The greeter was distracted by the satisfaction of pleasing Sarah. I saw myself in him. She was the flame that drew in the moths. I was him. It was then that I knew there was no intention to let either Millie or myself go. They were toying with me until boredom set in. My thoughts came together quickly, too quickly to even be considered a plan. I reached behind me and grasped for Millie, catching her wrist. Then, in one movement, my hand was on the coldness of the gun. It was in the air before anyone noticed, and the shot rang out. I knew it would alert more. I knew we would be swarmed any moment.

In a flash, I snatched the pouch of salt from Sarah's hands and pulled Millie around the greeter's body. Sarah's callous laugh filled my ears as we descended the staircase.

"Seth," Millie managed.

"We have to get out of here."

We made it to the bottom of the stairs, but two guards stood there, masking their black eyes behind sunglasses.

"I will kill you," I announced as I lifted my gun. "Are we worth dying for?"

Only one hesitated, but it was enough. Two more shots and they slumped to the floor. I barely remember getting to the car or peeling away. The next thing I recall was the hum of the highway, and Millie nestled beneath my arm. I could feel the thump of her heart pounding in her chest for both of us. All I could do at that moment was lean down and give the crown of her head a gentle kiss.