THE FIGHT IN THE FOREST

"Well, Arnav, what do you think?" Professor McGonagall asked as Arnav and Sam stood in her office, tying their hands behind their back and standing in an attention position.

"Er," Arnav murmured as he tried to evade the question from him. He looked around for distractions; several silver instruments whizzed around in the room, and many portraits of various Headmasters and Headmistresses hung around the walls neatly in an ordered manner. They were all sleeping, but Arnav occasionally caught glimpses of some Head opening their eyes and peeping, or snoring a bit too loudly. There was one portrait that was empty, labelled Severus Snape.

"Arnav?" she called out to him, and he focussed on the topic; which year is Dev supposed to be?

"I- I don't know, Professor," he said. He had no idea what to do in this case; the guy was a total nutcase who forgot everything about him, but still knew magic. This morning, Sam made him do a Tickling charm, and he could do it on his second try- he was a natural. But then, he didn't know any spells for himself, unless someone taught him.

"Professor, I think he should be a sixth-year," Sam told her. Arnav looked at her and mouthed, "Are you joking?" She did some weird action with her head that he didn't understand.

"Are you sure Sam? Who will teach him the basic spells and potions then?" McGonagall asked her. "We will assign good students to teach him, Professor. We could also teach him some basics an-"

"No, you won't teach him. Please do remember that both of you are prefects, and you are also supposed to write your O.W.Ls this year."

Sam sighed.

"Well then, we'll ask the sixth-years to teach him... They have breaks in between too, don't they?" Arnav asked McGonagall, and she considered it for a moment.

"Very well. So, I'm placing Dev as a sixth-year student, and I shall talk to the sixth-years about teaching him. You may go now."

**************************************************************

"Arnav, you said you wanted to meet us here? What's up, prefect?" Roop said, smiling. Arnav smiled back. "Well, McGonagall said you and Anshita were ready to teach Dev?"

"Yes, we did tell her," Anshita said, walking into the empty classroom with Roop.

The room was unlit and dark. Cobwebs hung around here and there, and the room looked like it was haunted. The red carpet was dusty and dirty, and the curtains were closed and coated with dust. It had an eerie atmosphere.

"Good. Right now, he's in there," Arnav said, pointing to a door, "and Mr Ollivander's come here on McGonagall's request... He's helping Dev pick his wand."

"Arnav, if you don't mind, let me be honest... I don't think it's a great idea to let him be at Hogwarts," Anshita said, biting her lips. Arnav looked flustered. "What d'you mean?"

"I agree with her, Arnav... I mean, it's not natural for this to happen, you know? McGonagall forgetting a letter? Do you know how crazy that sounds?" Roop agreed with Anshita, who nodded at this statement. Arnav looked at both of them, his face not hiding the fact that he was deeply flustered.

"I- We- Okay look, forget it. McGonagall's getting old, and... well, she forgot about one letter, that's it, you kn-"

"You think McGonagall's old?!"

"I- No! Not like that, she's just ageing, and-"

"Ageing means you admit she's getting old, Arnav."

"Well, it happens to everyone, doesn't it? People become weaker and forgetful when they are ol-"

"Well, was Dumbledore weak and forg-"