𝐯𝐢. the lord and all his marionettes.

Start from the beginning

"Lavinia?" Harry's voice drew her out of her thoughts, blinking into focus as she turned to face him. "The service ended a few minutes ago Vin, we can leave."

"Right, sorry." Lavinia sheepishly grinned, turning her head to watch as various groups of people left. "Shall we?" She held out her pinky, patiently waiting for him to grab it.

Harry looped his pinky around hers, following as they weaved through rows of pews. "Is the service always so... dull? Is that bad to say?"

"You can say it's dull because it honestly is. It's the same thing every week. I loathe spending my Sunday mornings here instead of at home, but do you see that woman over there? She reports back to my mother when I don't show, the bloody snitch."

"She actually reports back to your mother?" Harry gawked, voice laced with disbelief.

Lavinia nodded with a scowl, "She's psychotic that one. I avoid talking to her though, otherwise I'd kick her arse."

"What does that mean?" Harry asked as they passed the last pew, heading towards the narthex.

Lavinia halted, twirling to face him, leaning forwards until his breath fans across her face, and with a slight smirk she whispered, "Means that otherwise I'd kick her arse."

"I'd pay to see that. I assume you'd win that fight." Harry snickered, a sliver of admiration briefly flickering in his eyes. Once he noticed how close they were he flushed, pulling back. "Where would I find the loo?"

"Go down the hall and in the second door on the right." She told him, forcing a small smile when he dropped her hand.

I should try something to smother down that hair of his, she thought, watching as he walked away, zoning in on the unruly curls on the base of his neck.

"Well, what do we have here?" A voice drawled, sending an involuntary shiver down her spine. "Lavinia Vinke has finally shown up to a service, has she?"

With narrowed eyes Lavinia turned towards the woman, immediately recognizing the voice of Christiaan's best friends mother, Olivia Davis; she was a wretched woman, never missing a chance to disparage the Vinke family — except for Christiaan, oh what an angel that boy, he could do no wrong, but every member of her family had unrighteous moral, and he was certainly no exception.

With a forced smile she cleared her throat, straightening her shoulders. "Hello, Mrs Davis. The service today was lovely, don't you agree?"

"You could say the sorts." Mrs Davis said with a smug grin. "Of course, it would be hard for you to tell with your little boyfriend distracting you. Father Charles wouldn't be too pleased, would he?"

"Father Charles would be elated with the fact that I've expanded who accompanies me to service." Lavinia innocently grinned, slightly tilting her head. "Has Mr Davis given up on your bothersome frame of mind? He seems to be missing today."

A vexed look settled on Mrs Davis face, blood-wine red starting to coat her pasty cheeks. "Why you foul brat." She sneered. "I've always told my Marcus that your family was wicked. It's a shame Christiaan was related to you at all."

An immense rage overcame Lavinia, sending her heart racing as her blood wildly thumped against her ribcage, frantically wanting to ruin her. "Has your life become that uninteresting that you must attempt to rile up a fourteen year old girl? Forgive my bluntness, but you are truly pathetic, Mrs Davis."

"Why, I ought to put you in your place." Mrs Davis snapped, furiously stepping closer and lifting a hand in the air.

As her hand grew closer Lavinia grabbed Mrs Davis wrist, watching as the older woman dropped to her knees in distress, the slight smell of burning flesh filling her senses, leaning forward and pointedly staring at the woman. "It's not Satan you need worry about, Mrs Davis." She softly said with a sadistic smile. "I'd say hitting a child in a sacred place could be considered a sin, and you wouldn't want to see what happens to those who sin."