Chapter 14

Two days later, when I was finally allowed to go home, the first thing Kyle and I did after solemnly dropping them at school was head to an urgent meeting we demanded for.

Kyle and I walked in, angry, and took a seat at the end of the large table containing the judge, court guardian, social workers and people who worked at the mental institute. After commenting on how awful I looked, Marie asked what the problem was.

"We want to know what's going on," Kyle said.

There was a sea of blank faces.

"Why the hell was my sis- Elizabeth James placed in a mental hospital?"

Everyone at the table exchanged glances.

No one answered until Kyle stood up, smashing his hand on the table, "Tell us why!"

"She made serious accusations against her two young sons," the Judge said, matter-of-factly.

"And what were those accusations?" Kyle asked, slyly.

The judge sighed. "Mrs James told us that Nathaniel and Micah James-Bronwyn were offspring of the devil,"

There was silence. "Elaborate," I said quickly, trying to hide the shock in my voice.

"Give her the statement," a hidden voice ordered. A brown envelope was slid down the table to Kyle and I and we eagerly opened it. We scanned the statement, which was written by my sister and it addressed the reasons why she did what she did.

"I locked them in the basement in fear of what they would do to me next. I didn't want to give them food because I didn't want to give them fuel to become more powerful. Have you not noticed the bruises on my arms? The cuts on my neck and shoulder? They did that to me. They may be young but their minds are wise. They have powers. They terrify me. I don't know what I've done to be cursed with these freaks." I put my hand over my mouth as I read the statement. It was true. My sister wasn't mental. I carried on reading and everything she said was exactly what Kyle and I had experienced. Liz recounted the time Nathaniel attacked her with a knife; a situation identical to what happened to me. And to add to it, Liz described in vivid detail the smile that Micah bore when she disciplined him. She stated how he only did it when he was about to do something terrible. I looked at Kyle, fearfully.