Conrad tries not to grimace as she reads the message, a sigh escaping her lips.

"What's wrong?" Carlos asks, pulling his sweater off.

Conrad is so preoccupied that she doesn't even stare at his chest, which she usually does.

"Derek. He wants me to come to the city next week for a meeting. Whenever we have the quarterly meetings - which I never go to anymore - everyone falls asleep. They aren't even relevant for what I do," Conrad grumbles, trying not to touch her face.

She always touches her face when she gets nervous, whether it's smoothing frowns or tapping at her chin, but she doesn't want to mess up the makeup she spent an absurdly long time on.

Usually, it's a ten-minute job, but she took her time today in an effort to make it perfect.

She isn't sure why she's so nervous about seeing Sabrina; she's seen her plenty of times and spent hours and hours with her over the course of her life.

It's because you and her dad are actually official now, you're not just his friend, Jane comments, and Conrad raises her eyebrows, shaking it off.

"Are you gonna go? It could be dangerous; you'd have to have some security going with you," Carlos warns her, tying his tie in the mirror.

"I might have to. He knows I have another job, but I can't really say, 'oh, my boyfriend has an assassin trying to kill him, so I can't really leave the town I work my second job in'. It might cause some raised eyebrows," Conrad sighs, massaging her temples lightly.

"I'd have to send Scarlet with you," Carlos quietly informs her, and Conrad scowls.

"I'll figure out how to do it online. I'm not going to the city with her," Conrad quickly responds, shaking her head.

"I find your attitude change towards her really funny," he chuckles, glancing at her out of the corner of his eye while he combs his hair back.

"I don't like being forced to do something, and she's trying to force me to take care of the twins! I am in no position to care for them; I do not want babies right now," she mutters to herself, fluffing up a front piece of hair.

"I know that. I think it's ridiculous that she's trying to do that, and it's legally not right for you to do it. They're Atlas' problem, whether or not he wants to deal with it," Carlos shrugs, spraying some of Conrad's hairspray onto his hair.

"They said he would be let out for tomorrow to visit with the kids. I think they'll definitely at least reduce his sentence so that the kids have somewhere to go," Conrad sighs, sitting down on the bed.

"I'm just guessing, but I think that they'll put him on house arrest in his pack so that he can care for the children. His children are currently more important to the High Alphas than his punishment for being a dick to his pack," Carlos offers, offering her his hand.

"You look beautiful," he comments, twirling her around.

The skirt of her dress swirls around her legs, and she can't stop the small smile from spreading across her lips.

He makes her feel so pretty, and he constantly reminds her of how gorgeous he finds her. She always feels a little awkward because nobody else she's ever been with has been this complimentary of her.

"Thank you. You look very handsome," she whispers, kissing his lips gently.

"Con, lipstick!" Carlos groans, releasing her hand and rushing back to the mirror.

"Whoops," Conrad grins, Jane crowing.

Now, none of those single bitches will go near my man, Jane hoots.