Part 23 - A Step Closer

Neko with a "bad boy" hairstyle XD ⬆️

The next day...

Sayuri headed to her locker... but in front of it... was a beautiful bouquet of flowers...

Her cheeks darkened as she knelt to pick up a letter in them...

She opened it and read the words inside. Her cheeks grew even darker.

"Uh... Uri?" she gasped.

Meanwhile...

I was walking into school, earphones blasting music to avoid the annoyance of social interaction.

"Uri!" My music tried to block out.

"URI!!!" I tried to block it out.

"URI!!" Haruko pulled my earphones out.

"Ah! Hey!! What the hell, Haruko?!" I grunted, seeing the culprit of the annoying voice.

"Sayuri's looking for you!! What the heck did you do?!!" He shook my shoulders with a grin.

"Wh-what?!! I didn't do anything?! Wh-why would she be- ... agh. It's probably to do with the study club," I sighed, being rational.

"Nu-uh!! Someone left a rather fancy bouquet at her locker this morning~ so, spill the tea!! Was it you??" Haruko asked.

"A bouquet...? I didn't... do anything like that..." my face darkened.

"Really?? But everyone's saying it's you!" Haruko mentioned.

"Why would they be saying that?!" I grumbled.

"Because there was a love letter with it~" Haruko grinned.

"Ah...! What? But I haven't given her any love letter!!" I panicked in embarrassment.

"Oh... Oof, looks like you got mad competition then. Sorry, bud. Guess it really is study-related," Haruko muttered.

"Mmmm...." I grumbled.

Why would anyone think it's me...? Is someone playing a joke on me or something?!

"Neko, what happened to your leg???" Haruko noticed Neko walking about with a crutch.

"Oh, good morning Haru-Kun. This is just a sprain. I fell out of a tree!!" Neko informed him with a yawn, messy hair and crumpled clothes??

Ugh. This idiot again... he looks a mess. Tst. And now everyone's gonna pity him cause he's injured.

Oh, UrI, wHy aRe yOu BeInG mEaN tO tHe PoOr HuRt NeKo? He'S iNjUrEd! YoU sHoUlD kNoW bEtTeR!

Yeah, that's what they'd say.

"How'd you manage that?" Haruko wondered.

"By being me, I guess," Neko smiled awkwardly, head tilting side to side in his sleepy state.

By being an idiot, more like...

"Have you heard about the bouquet Sayuri was sent?" Haruko asked.

"Oh, yeah! They're actually from me!" Neko beamed.

"Uh!!!" I gasped.

"Wait!! What?!!" I yelled.

"I got a load of flowers from my family, so I woke up really early to restore the love letter you made and placed it in the prettiest bouquet I had! I even got here super early just to make sure no one would see me place it in front of Sayuri's locker. Pretty neat, huh?" Neko beamed.

"You got up early?!" I refused to believe.

"Yeah! I asked Riku to make sure I woke up! All for senpaiiii!" He almost fell over from tilting unsteadily.