That's when the realization hit you.

He was from the Minamoto clan. You didn't pay too much attention to learning about the other exorcist clans, but even you knew how strong this clan was. You prepared to reach into your bag, his new attitude putting you on edge more than anyone or anything you had ever met.

"Well, I'm after him too, but I've heard how high your family's expectations are for you, so I'll let you have this one. But if you don't kill him, I'll happily take on the job myself, deal?" You didn't want to see this guy's reaction if you told him that you were currently working for the ghost he was talking about and instead nodded slowly. In a split second, his charming persona had returned, and you found yourself letting out a small breath of relief.

"Well, it was nice meeting you. I'll be seeing you soon, alright?"

You walked into your classroom, where everyone was sitting and talking with each other

"Good morning, Y/n!" You turned to your English teacher, Mr. Ito, sitting at his desk. "Here's the book the class is reading right now. You'll need to catch up fast if-" He reached onto his desk, only to grab at nothing. He looked down at the empty desk, and his brow furrowed in confusion.
"It was just here. I-I'm sorry, I don't know what happened," he said, looking under the table and in one of the piles.
"It's fine," you assured. "I've read that book before anyway, so you can just give it to me tomorrow." You walked back to your desk and sat down, preparing for another forty-five minutes of staring at the class, only for a tap on your shoulder to catch your attention. You turned to see the boy from yesterday standing there.

'What was his name again? Yuri? Yui?'

"Hey, Y/n," he greeted nervously, scared that he'd get the same treatment as yesterday. Just as you were about to tell him to go away, you remembered where being rude got you last time, and instead, you bit your tongue.
"Oh...Hey," you said awkwardly. "Um...Yuto, right?" He shook his head.
"It's Yuki, remember?"
"Oh, right. Sorry about that," you said.
"It's fine. Anyways, are you settling in okay?" He asked, sitting down in the seat in front of you and turning around.
"Yeah. This school is kinda nice," you admitted, even though the only experience you've had so far has been cleaning the bathrooms.

"I'm glad to hear that." The blonde smiled. "So, have you made any friends yet?" You were about to say yes but quickly stopped yourself.
"Um, not really, no," you lied, not really eager to tell him that your only friend was a ghost lurking in the girls' bathroom.
"Oh, well, y-you're really pretty...So I'm sure you'll make a lot of friends soon." Your eyes widened at his words, and he blushed at your reaction.

"Oh," you said, letting his words sink in.

'No one's called me pretty before.'

Seemingly realizing what he just said, his face heated up.
"Oh, I-I'm sorry! I didn't mean to say that out loud!" he said, and you quickly shook your head.
"No, it's fine. You just surprised me at first, but thank you." You smiled at him, and he felt his heartbeat quicken.
"Alright, everyone, please head to your seat," said Mr. Ito, and Yuki gave you an apologetic look.
"I'll see you later," he said, standing up and heading to his seat, and you smiled before turning to face the window.