The heartbreak

"Marinette, Stop, Please!!" Adrien yelled as he watched Marinette run away, heartbroken and angry. His brain was telling him to run after her. He wanted to run after her and explain, but his body was not moving. Why did it not react the way he wanted it to act? Adrien stood frozen, his eyes not leaving the spot she stood in not seconds before as she confessed her love to him. She had spoken the words he had been waiting and hoping to hear ever since his father forced him to leave New York, and yet he had ruined it. He had no idea just how much he wanted to hear those words until now. But now that he had, he messed up.

Why didn't he think about all this sort out his feelings sooner? Why did he wait until it was too late? Why couldn't he be as brave as his alter ego and confront his father about him controlling his life? Why did he agree to date Kagami when he knew he loved someone else? And most importantly, why didn't he break up with her after realizing he wanted to be around Marinette?

He knew Kagami was controlling and hated the idea of him having female friends, and for some reason, she disliked him hanging around Marinette alone. So why did he allow this instead of breaking up with her right away? Adrien had a million things on his mind, but one unwanted intrusive thought was stuck replaying in his mind over the rest, causing him great distress

. It seemed to come from out of nowhere, arrive with a whoosh, and cause a great deal of anxiety. He had lost her! She hated him, and now he had nothing. Just like he lost her. He had also lost his hope, his happiness, his light, and his reason to live, he lost it all, and worst of all, it had been his fault. Another tear escaped his eye as this thought invaded his head, quickly taking over and being the only one there. Adrien Agreste had broken. For the first time since the disappearance of his mother, Adrien felt broken.

The memory of how she backed away from his touch flashed before his eyes. It felt so vivid. As if it was happening all over again. The way her face showed pain, anger, and disgust made his heartache. It hurt so much more than any rejection he had received for Ladybug. Adrien cursed Ladybug in his mind. *Damn you, Ladybug! If only I hadn't met you, I wouldn't have fallen for you, and my love for you wouldn't have blinded me from seeing Marinette. It was the pain of your rejections that made me agree to date Kagami. I wish I had never met you! Now I lost her. I lost Marinette.*

He had never meant to hurt her. That was not his plan, yet thanks to his bad luck, it was exactly what had happened. He wished things would have been different. The second he saw her standing on the school steps, he knew he would break up with Kagami, but everything happened too soon. Then being his usual stupid self, he started with the wrong words. Why did he start that way? Why didn't he say something like, "I like you too, but you need to know I have a girlfriend. But, if you are willing to wait for me, I will fix everything." How could he have been so stupid?

All he wanted was to explain the situation. To ask Marinette to understand him and give him a few days to sort everything out. He wanted to tell her that he felt the same, and he wanted to give them a chance after all this was said and done, but she didn't let him. She left him. "How can I get her to listen? I love her. I can't lose her. Not her anyone but her." Adrien cried to Plagg as he had floated up to hug his holder.

At that moment, Adrien saw that students were beginning to fill the school. He knew that if the word got out that he was spotted crying in the corner, his father would kill him! Then Gabriel would make sure Adrien never went to school again. He had already lost Marinette. The last thing Adrien needed was to be taken away from the only place he could run into her and try to explain. He would try to fix their relationship if it was the last thing he did.

A still heartbroken, Adrien found himself running to the bathroom and locking himself up in a stall. Being who he was, he hated many things about his life, but never once did he hate himself. The model always tried to be the best and to be as kind as his mother was. Even his reflection reminded him of his mother. He looked so much like her. That is why he loved who he was. Well, until now, that is. Adrien hated himself at the moment. Out of all the people in the world, he had destroyed the one person who did whatever it took to make him happy and the one who could always put a smile on his face. He felt like a scumbag.

"Plagg, I have to call her! I have to explain. I need to explain. I can't just do nothing and watch her hate me," he said with tears in his eyes. "Kid, calm down. You are going to get akumatized. Either way, it wasn't your f-" "Don't!" Adrien interrupted, "Don't you dare try and say it wasn't my fault because we both know it was, and now I lost her!" Adrien yelled. "Kid listen" "Shut up, Plagg, I have to call her!"

Adrien was quick to pull Marinette's contact information up and press the green button to call her. One ring, two rings, three rings, voicemail. Pressing the red button to end the call, he tried again, but once again, all he got was the voicemail. He tried again and again, but she didn't pick up. With each call, his heart broke more. "Uhh, just pick up, please," he grunted. He was in the middle of trying again when to his luck, the bell rang. "Damn it, not now!" he yelled, punching the stall door. But he wouldn't give up, not yet. Once again, the voicemail came up, but this time he wouldn't hang up.

"Marinette, it's Adrien please pick up. I swear it wasn't my intention to hurt you. There was more I wanted to say, things I needed to explain. Please, just give me a chance. Your friendship means more to me than anything in this world. Please, don't push me away. Let me explain, I beg of you. I'll be waiting for your call." With that Adrien, hung up. He then proceeded to wipe the tears from his eyes and opened the door. "Kid, don't worry, we will find a way, I promise but come on, let's get you to class," Plagg spoke softly as his heart ached for his holder. Adrien didn't reply or speak at all. He simply grabbed his stuff and quietly walked to class.

No one noticed him come in as everyone engaged in their own conversations. That, and also the second he walked to class, he sat in his normal spot, placed his arms on the desk, and his head on top of them, covering his face while trying so hard to fight more tears that threatened to spill. As Nino turned around and realized Adrien's state, his eyes widened in fear, and he turned to look at Alya, who had the same reaction but with extra added worry for her best friend. Alya began to panic internally, fear spreading all over her body. *Oh no, this is not good. Omg, Mari! Where is she? How is she? What happened? What could have gone wrong? I was sure it would all work out*

Nino worried for his best friend. He also thought everything would turn out excellent I mean, last night he spoke to Adrien, and he knew his bud was crazy in love with Marinette. What could have happened? Deciding to ask him, he tapped his friend's shoulder. "Dude, are you okay? Where is Marinette?" Upon hearing her name, Adrien almost broke down again. He wanted to lie and say he was fine like he normally did, but he couldn't. He had to tell someone. He needed to let it out. And maybe get some advice, and who better than his best friend?

Adrien slowly looked up towards Nino. Nino could see the red, puffy eyes and the pained look in Adrien's eyes, and he immediately hugged his friend. "She-she left Nino she hates me. I-I messed up, man." Adrien spoke. After letting go of the hug, he immediately covered his face with his hands, afraid to break down and start crying. "Listen to me, man I don't know what happened, but I am sure Marinette doesn't hate you. She is not like that man, but how about we talk during lunch so we can figure it out, okay?" Nino asked, earning a nod from a depressed Adrien.

_________________________________________________________________________

Marinette ran. She ran like her life depended on it. Seconds later, she arrived at the bakery, ignoring her parents and running towards her room. Looking at each other, they locked up the bakery and ran after their daughter. "Marinette, sweety, what happened?" Sabine asked, gently walking towards he daughter. Marinette couldn't help herself. Marinette ran towards her parents, who quickly reacted. They quickly pulled her into a hug allowing her to sob into their arms. "He rejected me. A-after everything, h-he rejected me. I-I love him, I gave him the best of me, but I just wasn't enough," Marinette sobbed. Tom greeted his teeth in anger. Someone will have to pay! And he knew just who that was.