Seeing you again

"Marinette!!" Adrien shouted, running towards her and pulling her into a big hug. Marinette stiffened upon his touch. What was happening? Marinette's brain had shut down. Was she dreaming? Why was Adrien holding her? She didn't react to the hug as she tried to comprehend what was happening. Alya and Nino stared in shock as they couldn't comprehend what was going on either. Last night it was pretty obvious Adrien wanted to see Marinette, but he had never hugged her like that before. Did Adrien just make a move?

Upon noticing what he had done, Adrien immediately let go of her and blushed. He couldn't believe what he had done. What was he thinking? She is going to hate him! Why did he just hug her out of nowhere? "I umm I- sorry I shouldn't have done that I- I was just umm happy and wanted to t-thank you for the goodbye sign and stuff. Yeah!" Adrien stuttered, lifting his hand to rub the back of his neck nervously. *Did Adrien Agreste just stutter? What in the world was happening?* Alya and Nino thought at the same time.

Marinette didn't notice his stuttering as her brain was trying to compose itself from the hug. She wanted to faint, to melt into a puddle in the ground from his touch. The moment his hand touched her shoulder to pull her into the hug. She felt like a jolt of electricity had run through her veins. It was unlike anything she had ever felt before. What she didn't know was that Adrien had felt the exact same thing.

Adrien felt confused. Marinette was just a friend, right? But then why is it that he had never felt that when Kagami touched him or even Ladybug. Yes, Ladybug had the power to make him feel butterflies in his stomach by just looking at him but never this. What is happening to him? He must be losing his mind.

"I-it's okay, and umm, your welcome, A-Adrien. I'll do a-anything for a f-friend," Marinette stuttered back, making Alya chuckle at her friend. Oh, she was hopeless. No matter how hard she'd practice confessing, she would still end up stuttering. Adrien, on the other hand, felt his stomach turn at the sound of the last word. That's right, he was a friend, but for some reason, hearing the words coming from her mouth, were like a kick to the gut. It truly hurt, but Adrien didn't understand why. Was that how she felt every time he said it? He was truly starting to hate the word friends.

Adrien fought the frown that wanted to come out and simply stared at her eyes. The two young teens stared at each other, getting lost in each other's eyes. The world disappeared. It was just the two of them. Adrien found himself moving closer to Marinette. That was until both teens were brought back by the clearing of a throat. Adrien then noticed the distance between him and her, jumped back, and hid his face, attempting to hide the blush that crept up his cheeks.

"Um, hey dude," Nino greeted with a smirk, making Adrien feel even more embarrassed than before. "Yeah, hey, Adrien." Alya greeted in a teasing tone. "Hey Alya, Hey Nino," Adrien replied once again, scratching the back of his neck. Alya laughed at Adrien's actions. She had to admit she was afraid Marinette would be rejected today but based on Adrien's actions, she was starting to believe Marinette had nothing to worry about, things were looking good so far.

"Anyways, Nino and I got to check something for the Lady blog right quick, so we'll catch you guys in class," Alya said, sending Marinette a smile as she pulled her boyfriend in. She mouth a "good luck" to her bestie before disappearing into the school.

*Oh boy, here we go* Marinette thought.

The second Alya and Nino walked away, Marinette lost all confidence. Her hands began to sweat, and she could swear that her heart was beating so fast she would soon have a heart attack. *Oh God, what was I thinking? I can't do this, I'll get rejected, and then he'll hate me, and I'll be sad and then get akumatized and Chat No-*

"You look amazing, Marinette, and I like your hair. You should really leave it down more often," she heard Adrien say, interrupting her rambling thoughts. She looks at him to see him once again scratch the back of his neck nervously. *Ahhh, he thinks I look pretty. Okay, Marinette, you can do this. You are Ladybug. Just breath.* She internally screamed.

"T-thank you, A-Adrien," she stuttered and began playing with her thumbs nervously, wondering how she would be able to do this. Maybe, if she would be okay if she avoided eye contact. Or maybe, she could pretend she was speaking to someone else. Adrien's smile faded and was replaced with a frown upon seeing how distressed she looked. *Great job, Agreste, you made her uncomfortable she probably hates you now* he thought.

"Are you okay, Marinette? Did I say or do something wrong? I didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable." Adrien asked, saddened by the sudden change of attitude from his pigtailed classmate. Ever since the trip to New York. All he wanted was to be close to her and get to know her better, but it seems like every time he takes a step forwards, he ends up three steps backward.

*Way to go Marinette, now, you made him feel bad. Just give up then you won't hurt anyone else.* Marinette thought, but as she was about to change her mind and give up, she heard the voice of Tikki speaking inside her head. "Don't you dare give up, Marinette! You can do this. Remeber you are Ladybug! Just be confident."

Marinette took a deep breath and decided she is right. She is Ladybug. She has defeated countless akumas, has survived crazy situations, and she has never given up before. She could do this.

"N-no, you didn't do anything wrong. S-sorry, I was lost in thought." Adrien felt himself let out a breath of relief. He felt so much better, knowing he hadn't messed up. He didn't know what he would do if he lost Marinette's friendship. "Actually, t-there is something I h-have to tell you. Can we t-talk in p-private," she finally let out.

Adrien stiffened. Marinette wanted to talk in private? What if she said she hates him? What if she tells him she doesn't want to be his friend? "O-oh, okay." He replied nervously. Before he could keep freaking out internally, he felt Marinette grab his hand and lead him towards the side of the school that was empty.

Adrien felt his cheeks heat up and the feeling of warmth coming from their hands. Oh, how he loved the feeling of her hand on his. It was almost as if they were made for each other. They fit so perfectly together. Nothing can compare to the feeling of happiness it brought him. That feeling soon changed to disappointment as her hand let go of his. He looked up to see Marinette take a breath before speaking.

"Adrien, I like you!"