06 | eighth wonder of the world.

Start from the beginning

Lucas stifled a smile. "Why do you think sir would do that?"

"I have heard that's what he does!" I murmured. "I was counting on him to bail me out of this stuff — thank God Jannat doesn't actually know anything about him. Are we early or something?"

"Oh my dear foolish best friend," Lucas said, giving me a friendly slap on the back that hurt like a bitch. "Jannat probably knows more about him than you do. Coach is on leave today — it's his 25th anniversary with his wife. In fact, I bet Jannat knew it beforehand and the only reason she chose today to be the day is because she already knew about his whereabouts."

I gritted my teeth. "I hate that girl."

"Sure you do, buddy."

As if on cue, Walter stood up on the bench, somehow standing on the bench in her heels as straight as ever — and I didn't miss some of the looks that the boys shot to her legs. An uneasy feeling shot through me. Ignoring it, I kept my gaze trained on the evil spawn of Satan, and even though there was a lot of distance between us — her gaze seemed to be taunting me even now. She visibly grinned and then spoke up in her school captain voice. "So like y'all already know, coach ain't coming today. So, come on boys! Let's get this started! And today, if you haven't noticed already — a special someone, namely the Christian Sinclair is joining you on the field! Show him how this is played, fellas! Don't hold back!"

That earned a few hollers and cheers from the boys gathered around her, and Lucas' hand clamped not so graciously on my shoulder. "The boys are riled up. You're gonna be thrashed on the field, mate. I am pretty sure they're going to try and do some tricks to show off to her — it's not everyday we get a pretty girl on the field. Be on your guard."

I ran a hand down my face. So much for the debate club.

● ● ●

BY THE TIME WE WERE DONE, my whole body ached so much that I felt like Atlas — yes, like the Titan who was condemned to hold up the celestial heavens or sky for eternity after the Titanomachy. Lucas wasn't kidding, the boys had indeed performed every trick up their sleeves to show off to Jannat, and surprisingly enough, Jannat seemed to understand the game and had given hoots and cheers and had shouted out stuff at the right times — leading the boys to be even more aggressive than usual. And I had been caught in the crossfire. If Lucas hadn't shielded me at times, I was pretty sure I would have had the prints of the football etched into the memory of my skin. Yes, I had taken a blow right into the face and into my stomach and everywhere for God knows how many times.

"Damn boys, y'all played very well!" Jannat had clapped as soon as the game finished, her face twisted into a disgusting grin. "This was so fun!"

"You okay?" Lucas asked as he crouched down next to me and offered me a bottle of water. "You gonna make it out alive on your own or do I need to drag you off the field?"

I panted heavily, blowing out short bursts of breath as I accepted the bottle from him graciously. As soon as the game had ended, I had somehow dragged myself to a clearer side of the field, and had let myself topple over, back first with my arms flailed around, on the patch of the field. Judging by the texture and length and feel of the grass, they were new and fresh. I had allowed myself to stare up at the clear blue sky, but it had seemed awfully bright. Go out and play, they said. It will be fun, they said.