Okay. She signed.

Abruptly, French hung up. Inola was taken aback, but there was nothing she could do. Fortunately for her, as soon as she walked up to the bus stop it rounded the corner, saving her some time. She got on and began the route to French's house.

When she got to the stop closest to French's house, she got off the bus and took a taxi the rest of the way. Following instructions, Inola found the spare key under the mat and unlocked the door. There was a flood of emotion in her, she crept in slowly, smiling as she looked around. The place looked so much bigger. Maybe now that they had left it seemed so much more spacious.

Inola pushed the door in and continued on her way up the stairs. She walked down the hall and to the old guest room and opened the door. Everything was neat and clean and the bed was made up nicely. She peered to search for the silver band since the spread on the bed was fluffy white. Just like he said it was sitting in the middle of the bed.

Inola put the ring on her finger and smiled. Turning, she walked out the room and pulled the door in behind her. She headed back for the staircase and paused. She looked down at the hall at the master bedroom and bit her bottom lip. She knew she should leave, but just a quick look around wouldn't hurt. She was leaving in one minute.

Entering French's bedroom, the large open space greeted her. A made up bed, not a spec of dust on the ground and quiet and desolate. She wondered how he could live in a house so big by himself.

Inola felt her phone buzz in her hand and jumped. She looked down to see text messages from Enrique.

Enrique: Ma, are you close?

He had a friend who he played video games with all the time, but he wasn't allowed out of the house unless her or Omari was home.

Inola: Yeah baby, I just went to French's house to pick up my ring. We left it here, lol. I'm on my way back right now.

Inola told her son because she didn't have anything to hide. What her and French had was long over and she had moved on with her life. Putting her phone away Inola walked over to the dresser, and picked up one of the lotions she saw. He had a lot of family sized Jergen lotion. He didn't like to be outside much, so when he bought things he bought them in bulk.

Inola went into the closet and pulled out a cotton shirt. She closed her eyes and smelled it, rubbing it against her face. French would always hold a special place in her heart. He had issues and he needed to work on himself, but they weren't meant for each other.

Inola then laid back on the bed and closed her eyes, remembering their night here. She got up and went back over to the draw, taking a small travel size bottle of lotion. She stuffed it in her purse, then continued to explore, running her fingers across things.

Inola moved about the room, touching and exploring things. Startled, she jumped when a hand touched her. She spun around and was met with French. Her eyes were bugged out of her head. She looked him up and down and her heart started to thump out of control. She felt like he could hear it.

That FaceTime video couldn't do him justice in person. His hair was freshly cut, the cologne on his skin enticing her. He didn't look that much different, just his eyes told a story of sadness. His energy seemed much lower, not as aggressive as they use to seem.

So many memories of the two of them passed through her in that moment. Trying to show him how good her life has been, Inola straightened her shoulders and held her head high. She knew she wasn't the most innocent either, but any sympathy she felt was loss when she found out he had been secretly watching and recording her.