iii. twin bonding

Start from the beginning

Trudging down the steps, Kiara was very aware that Embry had been telling the other two boys about her sudden appearance since the conversation abruptly cut off as she reached the basement. Jacob was looking at her with concern in his eyes, confused on why she would sudden appear without any warning. He knew she wasn't having a good time recently, what with her getting expelled and having to move to Forks High, but he was surprised that it was bad enough for her to come and see him while he was at a friends.

"Kie, you okay?" Jacob asked, the nickname rolling off his tongue like it used to when they were younger. She didn't usually let anyone use the nickname that her mother had reserved for her but when she was upset Jacob couldn't help himself from letting it slip out.

"What does Samuel Uley have that I don't?" Kiara eventually said as she sat down on the bottom step, tears pooling in her eyes as she looked up at the three boys who were now looking completely more confused than before. "Jared and Paul both replaced me with him, and now Dad is sitting having coffee with him and discussing options for my future as if I'm just some little girl. Why does everyone pick Samuel Uley over me?"

Jacob crossed the room in an instant, wrapping his arms around his sister and hushing her cries as she burst into sobs. Quil and Embry didn't know what to make of the scene, confused as to why Sam Uley was getting so involved in the lives of so many of the teenagers on the reservation. They knew all the drama about how he had broken up with his long term girlfriend Leah Clearwater a few months ago to start dating her cousin, and how her cousin had gotten attacked by a bear only days before too. Everything about that man seemed unsettling, and if Billy Black was in talks with who they assumed to be a drug dealer about Kiara, it was even more confusing.

If anything was certain however, it was that the three boys in the room had a lot more hatred for Sam Uley and his lackeys with every sob that left Kiara's body.

_____

Kiara and Jacob walked in a comfortable silence as he pushed her bike beside him, the rain having died off and the twins both knowing that they would have to head home. While Jacob had no issues with their father, he was a little confused on why Billy Black was ready to accept a car from Sam Uley without any hesitation. The man had always prided himself on not accepting hand-outs and it just seemed bizarre that he would accept one from the man who had essentially pushed for Kiara to be expelled after pouring milk in Paul Lahote's locker.

"So, made any friends at school?" Jacob asked after a moment, trying to take her mind off of the argument that was sure to be awaiting her once they got back to the Black residence.

Kiara shrugged, not really knowing how to answer that. Would she call Angela, Eric, Jessica and Mike her friends? Not really but at the same time she guessed they were on their way to becoming somewhat acquaintances with the girl. It wasn't like she could necessary say the Cullen family either, since Rosalie seemed like she'd rather be anywhere than near her chemistry lab partner half of the time.

"A few I think," Kiara told him before remembering how he had often listened in to their dad's complaints about the Cullen family. "I met the Cullen's - they're a lot different than I expected. I didn't realise that Dr Cullen even had children, since I usually don't like to listen to dad's rants."

Jacob shrugged, his hands still gripped around the handles of her bike as he pushed it for her. She could have just rode it home but she had decided that walking with Jacob was maybe something that was long overdue. She'd spent the past few years distancing herself from her twin and maybe some twin bonding was exactly what they needed. Besides, it wasn't like she really would get much chance to see him any other time since he was always either at his school or with the boys.