I had stayed at the mansion for a little over a month. Duchess Gratoni didn’t seem to care for her guests at all, and it had been dreary the entire stay. The gray lobby was drafty. The floors didn’t have carpeting, either, so it was cold. There were no ornaments or plants decorating the hallways, and it was hard to imagine that anybody lived there at all. It was completely different from the mansion in Atrina, where the Countess had filled the rooms with sincerity and life. It was no wonder Carol was so gloomy in a household like this.

When I first met Carol, she couldn’t even laugh properly. Now that our relationship was more stable, I wanted to do what I could for her. I chose Madame Dejoue to be our knight.[T/N: As in chess, a strong piece.]

“Why would you ever ask that sort of question?”

“It’s because I want to study. Also, it’s too different from our old house here.”

“To study… It seems that you’ve become very mature, my lady.” I don’t need to tell you what image Madame DeJoue has of me now. “And compared to the Atrina house, it is a lot more dreary.”

“That’s right,” I said. “Living in a place like this… I feel like I might forget my parents’ faces.”

I specifically chose the words that would evoke Madame DeJoue’s sympathy. I couldn’t reveal my motivations to her, seeing as I didn’t even know if I could trust her yet.

This would also be a good opportunity to test her ability and see how far she would go for me. I needed connections with the housekeeping staff in order to get involved with taking care of the mansion. I could slowly expand my area of influence from there.

“The head maid is a crooked sort, and it won’t be easy. But… it isn’t impossible,” said Madame DeJoue.

I smiled gently, a little like a young fox would.

“I’ll do my best,” she said.

“Thank you, Madame DeJoue.”

“No need for that, my lady. I was worried that you wouldn’t be able to move on after your parents’ passing, but it seems like it was unnecessary. You’ve matured. You’re even thinking of your education.”

What she meant was that she was worried that I would starve myself or take some other drastic action. Sharon was a girl who was terrified of being separated from her parents.

However, I was not Sharon. So the only reply I could give Madame DeJoue was a vague smile.

She had to adjust to me as I was now. I didn’t know how much longer I would continue to live as Sharon.

Thankfully, Madame DeJoue did not ask any further questions.

“Now, my lady. You should join Lady Carol at the river. She’s calling for you.”

She lifted me up and guided me toward the river.

“Sharon! Sharon! Come quickly! There are fish here!”

Carol eagerly led me to Madame Berna (who, by the way, was thoroughly drenched from Carol’s mischief). Madame Berna’s hands formed a cup of sorts, and in her palms were four small fish, swimming.

“What about it?” I said.

Carol looked as if she was struck by lightning. Her eyes widened into circles and her jaw dropped before she caught herself.

“Huh? Isn’t this interesting?”[T/N: Carol actually says ‘헐’, which is slang for a mild exclamation of surprise or shock.]

“Wait just a moment. I’m more interested by how casually you’re speaking.”