Ch:2 ~ 𝒟𝑒𝒶𝓁 ~

—

When we finished up eating dinner we decided to go rest. "This is your room, Clay," Grandma said to Clayton. As we went inside there was a twin bed in the middle of the room. The room had nice cream walls, and also a tiny view of the outside that I can'teven see over the darkness of the night. It was nice and decent. But then I wondered how much effort she had to put into it.

When Clayton goes over to jump on his not yet furnished bed I look over at Grandma Rose. "How did you get the bed in here?" I asked, concerned. I really hoped she didn't have to put as much struggle into this.

She waved her hand in a persuasive way. "Oh, I just had some friends help me with them, you don't have to worry about me, Rae Rae." Oh, no that nickname. She has always called me that since I was a friggen toddler, and I still remember it.

Clayton began to laugh as he took some things off our moving boxes.

I sigh and shake my head. "Grandma, please don't start with that nickname," I said in actual deep concern.

What if she called me that in front of a stranger? So embarrassing.

"Don't you worry, "She said giving me a wink. "And don't call me grandma both of you," She pointed her finger in both our directions. "It makes me feel old," She continued defensively. I raised my eyebrows at her.

"Well..." I started but she gives me a look and I began to laugh. "Kidding!" I said and she squinted her eyes. If we were being honest she honestly looked way too younger for her age. Which she never wants to admit and say to anyone.

As I've always said, age is just a number. "Ok, you guys really really need to rest now," She protested as Clayton began to whine.

"Yes, I think we should," I said. "You go ahead gra-" I started but then I shut my mouth before she gets offended. "I mean Rose. You go ahead I need to tuck Clay in," I said and she nodded with a curious but alluring smile.

When she walked away I went further into Clayton's room and took a better view around. "You know, I'm grown so you don't need to tuck me in," Clayton said and I smiled.

"'Course you are," I said walking over to his bed and grabbed the box he was digging on but before I can grab and put it down a picture grabs my attention. One of Mom, and Dad.

I grab the picture in my hands and look back at Clayton. "I didn't know you had this with you," I said and he shrugged, I swear he does that a lot. I looked back at the picture and observed it. They looked so happy and vulnerable in this picture that I almost forgot they were gone. I put the picture back into the box and I sat on the corner of the bed as Clayton sat in the middle.

After a few silence, I look at him. I knew this hurt him a lot but he just wanted to deny it, and that wasn't good to just keep your troubles in the dark. "I miss them too, you know," He looks down into the white bed sheet. I continued to look at him sadly. I reached over and took his hand in mine. "Do you want to talk about it?" I questioned but he snatched his hand away and went under the only visible sheet.