She was dangerous too. "Careful, hunter. Another step and it might be your last."

Elijah's grin fell after a second. "A temporary truce, Thalia. We won't make a move on your rogue until after she's out of that zoo. After that, our truce is over."

Thalia drew out the vial, ignoring how warm it was between her fingers. "Anything else you want to tell me?"

The hunter stepped back, turning his back her fearlessly. "No," he called out as he turned to the greenhouse exit, peering through the frosted glass to find an opening through the patrols to leave. "But I'm sure we'll talk again soon."

"Yes," Thalia said, and he paused at her response. "We still have a lot to discuss, don't we? With how this works."

Elijah stared her down, clenching his jaw, but his eyes spoke of a thousand questions he wanted to ask. He could try to get under her skin all he wanted, but she had all the answers to those questions that unnerved him, threw him off balance.

He might still have the upper hand with Willow, but Thalia had the upper hand between them.

The Wolfsbane didn't say another word, only silently slipping out the back of the greenhouse into the forest beyond.

Thalia put the vial back in her pocket after peering at it one more time, admiring the bright shimmer to the dark blood in the light of the greenhouse. She turned, ignoring the flora lining the aisle, and opened the door she entered from, calmly moving towards the pack house again. Glimpsing her wolf patrol through the shadows, playfully chasing a rabbit for their own enjoyment, Thalia's mouth lifted at the edges.

Elijah was right – they were easily distracted.

The princess moved back into the pack house and searched for her brother, or even the rogue, Marie, and hand them the vial. She walked towards the meeting room they'd used before and opened it without knocking to find the room full.

Thalia paused only for a second to take in the attendants around the table before making her way over. "Forgive the intrusion," she said formally, turning to her father. "What's being discussed?"

"Accounts." The king hesitated for a moment before gesturing to an empty seat at the sparse table. She smiled at her brother, who looked tired of hearing about numbers, and nodded to Alpha James. There was no one else present. "James here was giving us his review of the pack these past few years."

The disgraced alpha cleared his throat and finished what he was saying before Thalia had walked in. "To conclude, Your Majesty, the pack is in the lower end but we will be alright. We've had no major purchases and no major expenses."

"And your rogue count?" Elliot chimed in, staring down the man with cold fury. "Still low, is it?"

Thalia held back the urge to hum in agreement, remembering how James had lied about rogues in the area – when two were, at least, and one was still under his roof. She'd seen Marie rummaging the kitchen for more biscuits.

James bristled at the mention of rogues. "As far as I know, it is just Willow and Bella–"

"Marie," Thalia corrected, earning a glare from the alpha. "She goes by Marie."

The king sat back in his chair at the head of the table. "Do you have anything to contribute to this meeting, Princess Thalia?" he said sternly.

Thalia held his gaze for a beat too long before standing. "Actually, yes I do." She reached into her pocket and withdrew the vial of blood and placed it on the table, twisting it so the label was revealed to them all.

The reaction to the vial was immediate – Alpha James flinched, the king blinked, but Elliot stood so quickly his chair shot back and loudly hit the wall behind him. The guards outside the door opened the door to check everything was okay before the king waved them away. When the doors were shut once more, Thalia gestured to the vial. "The blood of Willow."

"I can see that," the king said harshly, looking at her carefully. "How did you get it?"

"I didn't." Thalia fought to keep her face neutral. "I went for a walk of the gardens and was approached by a hunter. They gave it to me."

The king stood quickly, his chair thrown back at the force and shattering upon impact. The guards opened the door again and he fiercely wove them out. Alpha James was doing his best to remain invisible in his seat. "What?"

Thalia briefly flicked her gaze to Elliot, who was frozen in place. "They have ignited a truce over Willow – they won't move on her while she's on zoo grounds, but once she's out the truce is broken. The vial is their word."

"So...we have Willow's blood?"

"They have a sample of her fur, Elliot," Thalia said. "They have evidence too."

The king snarled viciously. "We cannot trust hunters! They are vile, merciless murderers and deserve nothing as honourable as trust. They invite death with every breath they take in my presence."

Thalia paused. If her daughter came to her saying she'd been approached by their greatest threat, the first thing she'd ask was if she was okay. "I'd recommend trusting them, Your Majesty," she said without emotion. "I'd also recommend increasing the security in the area, and around the house, as a hunter was able to get so close without getting caught."

Elliot's look was sympathetic as she nodded her head to her father, not bothering to look in his eyes, and left the meeting, and the vial, with the door closing behind her with a soft click. Thalia allowed a moment to get herself together before making her way towards the upper floors, to her bedroom.

She didn't have the energy to talk to anyone else, to play any more games. Instead, she chose the blissful option, and removed her shoes, the pins in her hair so it fell freely down her back, ran her fingers over her scalp for a moment before lying down on the plush, foreign bed.

Thalia fell asleep, dreaming of murderous hunters with amusement in their vibrant eyes, chased by wolves crowned with thorns, all while holding the necklace still wrapped around her neck. 

~

Another update! Let me know what you think. This is gonna be the last you hear from Thalia for a while, more Marie updates to come :)

With love, 

Libby x